Fish are crashing, treating ich

GilbertonFisher

20200302_190917.jpg 20200302_190917.jpg First, rant that local box stores in my area don't carry many ich remedies.

Water parameters
pH 7.5, Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 0 (I've been doing 25% WCs EOD, is that why Im at 0 for nitrates?)

Currently treating with CopperSafe, ich-x arrives tomorrow. How do I safely transition to ich-x from the copper safe?

Lost my pleco this afternoon,

GilbertonFisher

Alright, I am settling on an uncycled tank with a bacterial bloom plus ich.

Dosed with Prime and Stability, will reduce feeding.

I have IchX arriving tomorrow and would like to switch over to that gir tasting the ich, how would y'all suggest I safely transition from coppersafe to ichX?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Sorry to hear about the problems.

The white milky tone to the water is usually a visual indicator of a bacterial bloom due to an uncycled tank. I found frequent water changes and time will clear it up.

Remember to gravel vac during this time of Ich. There is a stage to Ich where it may not be visible on the fish but continue in the tank.

GilbertonFisher

Sorry to hear about the problems.

The white milky tone to the water is usually a visual indicator of a bacterial bloom due to an uncycled tank. I found frequent water changes and time will clear it up.

Remember to gravel vac during this time of Ich. There is a stage to Ich where it may not be visible on the fish but continue in the tank.

Advice on switching treatments? IchX arrived today, should I just do 25% water changes 4 times over the next week then dose with ichx?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Ive never used Coppersafe and then had to switch over. From what I see Coppersafe says it stays active for up to a month so water changes would be the only way to get it out of there to switch treatment.

If it were me I would probably go with higher percentage water changes especially since your already dealing with bacterial bloom. I would probably go upwards to 50 percent and do it for like two days in a row and then try and get the next round of treatment in sooner. But thats just the way I would approach it. I havent seen the fish in person so I cant say if that would be too much on them or not.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Ditch the Coppersafe; start the IchX medication immediately; do a 50-60% water change every day for at least a week, then reassess. Good luck.