Fish and plant profiles on the forum?

A

Anonymous

Could be a link on the black bar at the top. Sounds like a lot of work setting it up but could be a useful tool. Members wouldn't need to exit the forum to search fish and plant profiles. Then members could possibly submit profiles for species not currently in the database.

Thoughts?

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sure we could pull that off. Probably start it off in a new forum section called species profiles? Make up some test ones and post em here, then we'll get those started.

A

Anonymous

Common Name: Phoenix Moss
Proper Name: Fissidens fontanus
Temperature: 73 F - 82 F
PH: 6.0 - 7.5
Lighting: Medium
Growth Rate: Very Slow
Difficulty: Easy
Position in Aquascape: Mid-Ground,Foreground
Origin: North America

A true aquatic moss that attaches itself to woods and rockery in the aquarium.

A

Anonymous

If anyone wants to add their personal experience growing this moss could be added. Any discussions should be started in new threads.

A

Anonymous

Aquarium Co-Op said:
I'm sure we could pull that off. Probably start it off in a new forum section called species profiles? Make up some test ones and post em here, then we'll get those started.
Eventually with a large data base a forum member could use the search engine to pull up specific species. If there was a way that the profiles could be separate from normal threads it would help against random topics being started within the plant or fish profile. Discussions should still be started in new threads . While experienced comments would remain within the species profile.

A

Anonymous

Common Names : Lemon Tetra
Scientific Name : Hyphessobrycon pulchripinnis
Size : 1.5 to 2 inches
pH : 6.0 to 7.5
Temperature :70 F - 80 F
Water Hardness : Preferes soft water
Lifespan : 6 to 8 years
Habitat : Amazon River

Belonging to the family Characidae is fairly peaceful, but best kept in schools of 6 or more. Has been known to be nippy if kept in smaller schools.

A

Anonymous

God it would take a long time at this rate, however with a template and participation of other members adding profiles and submitting them to be proofread before added it may speed things up.

A

Anonymous

Scientific name: Cichla monoculus
Common name: Monoculus Peacock Bass
Size: 32"
PH: 6.5 - 7.5
Temp: 77 F - 82 F
Water hardness: soft
Habitat: Amazon basin

This predatory fish can be taught to feed on pellet type protein pellets. Best suited for very large aquariums. This fish will eat anything that will fit into its mouth.

A

Anonymous

I bet with all the free time Madness has he could cover 99.9% of all the S. American cichlids, lol!

Just to play devils advocate here, but what would that add to the site? When it's generally reconstituted information from another internet source. I would find it much more interesting to read someone's personal experiences with a fish or plant rather than the info I could find in the first Google search result. This is not meant to sound like a knock on the idea or your efforts fishnabowl. just my thoughts on the matter on some way to expand it in to original content.

MRTom

2 more ideas off of Dan's comment. First, it would be real useful to include links to sources in each species profile (for drilldown). Second and even better, it would be awesome to have links to fishbox threads regarding the particular species. For example, a profile on oryzias woworae may link to the POTM winner from last year (http://www.wafishbox.com/t8397p20-potm-voting-begins).

A

Anonymous

hobbyorobsession said:
Just to play devils advocate here, but what would that add to the site? When it's generally reconstituted information from another internet source.  I would find it much more interesting to read someone's personal experiences with a fish or plant rather than the info I could find in the first Google search result.  This is not meant to sound like a knock on the idea or your efforts fishnabowl. just my thoughts on the matter on some way to expand it in to original content.
Well, what I had in mind is after the profile has been posted then members could add personal experiences, or additional information. However ,lengthy conversations , debates should be opened up in new threads. This is where a MOD would be needed to move such debates in order to keep the species profile thread pure.

Technically it would be "just another species profile" . But when ppl are talking or posting about species I've never heard if before we wouldn't need to leave this website to research it. A quick type in the search engine would bring up profiles and under the profile would be members experiences .

A

Anonymous

MRTom said:
2 more ideas off of Dan's comment. First, it would be real useful to include links to sources in each species profile (for drilldown). Second and even better, it would be awesome to have links to fishbox threads regarding the particular species. For example, a profile on oryzias woworae may link to the POTM winner from last year (http://www.wafishbox.com/t8397p20-potm-voting-begins).
This is good too MRTom. Ideas to make this more interactive the better.

A

Anonymous

Common name: Yellow Acara
Scientific name: Aequidens Metae
Size: 6"
PH: 5.5 - 7.0
Temp: 74 F - 84 F
Water hardness: soft
Habitat: Central to South America

Yellow Acara is can show aggression; even more so during breeding. Yellow Acara will bully small fish and eat the tiny ones, therefore, tank mates should be considered carefully and should be comparable in size.

LINK:Picture of the month winner Tom/ Bassetman  

A

Anonymous

These are just examples/ ideas. I've never done this before so if anyone would like to throw a profile out there of their own please do so! Throw a twist on it, or just do one of your favorite fish or plant.

:)