firemouths or jag? advice is appreciated

A

Anonymous

hey. im thinkin bout upgrading to a 55 g, from my 40g. i have a Jack Dempsey in the 40, and id like to place in the 55 when upgraded, a firemouth or two, or would a jag work :?: anyhoo, any advice is greatly appreciated

Madness

Staff member
It kinda depends on how long your Dempsey has been in the tank alone. How big is the Dempsey? Firemouths can be tenacious little s***s, but will not battle or stick up for itself if the Dempsey is much larger and is constantly going after them. If the Dempsey is not to big yet, throw in at least 2 Firemouths of decent size. 2 of them will stick together.

As for the Jag. Same thing, but from my experience on jags, one jag will hold his own. As long as the jag is not considerably smaller than the Dempsey.

Question for ya. Why a choice between Firemouths and Jags? Why not a Red Devil, flowerhorn, green terror, texas, carpintis, etc.... There are so many fish out there.

If you just like the FM and Jags, why not buy them both? 2 FM, and a Jag. But really need to know the size of the Dempsey.

personally i would add a dovii and an umbee with a dempsey , and two firemouths and a texas in 1 55 for about 10 months , then hopefully u will have at the minimum a 75 if not 125 ..
lol , i have 75 gallon for sell .
and anything u need for it , lol

Cclump

id add a green terror.
anything else listed minus the FM is going to get way too big for that little tank.
The dovii umbee jag and texas when larger would whoop on that JD after 6 months.