Firemouth or Salvini? Help appreciated

A

Anonymous

alright. i have a 4-5 in Jack Dempsey in a 40 g tank by himself, aside from a pleco. If i were to upgrade to a 55g, could i put in , say, 2 firemouths and i salvini? ive heard that salvini's are tough little s**ts and could hold their own against a Jack. I belive my Jack is a female....not sure. no beard, but the fins arent pointy, and by now they should be...? anyway.........any suggestions are greatly appreciated
Happy Holidays 8)

hbluehunter

You could add them if they're all small, but that 55 is gonna be too small for them in no time.. If you can upgrade to maybe a 75+ that would be way better. Almost forgot i'd go with the Salvini, i like the color on them better than Firemouths.

Madness

Staff member
My 55 housed 2 dempseys, 2 devils, 2 FM, a salvini, and a convict. The male dempsey was the largest at 7" the rest averaged 3" - 5". They were all together and living peacefully. (to some extent)

True, eventually you will need a larger tank. But 1 dempseys, a pleco, 2 FM's and a salvini. No problem. As long as you keep up the water changes.

My 55 right now has 4 Umbee's ranging from 2.5" - 5". A male Uro @ 7" and a female Uro @ 5", a pleco @5" and a male & female con. F @2.5" & M @ 3.5". Plenty of room, and they have been in there for a couple months, and I don't plan on moving them for a while.

The number of fish is fine. The only problem you would have in a 55 is if you had a couple of fish that wanted to spawn. Then the 55 doesn't give much distance for the other fish to stay away. But then again, I have had fish spawn in my 55 while they were with several others.

Your call man. I wouldn't worry about it. Tons of room.

A

Anonymous

think ill go with 2 fm and a salvini.....the coloration is why i like them.

Madness

Staff member
Salvini's do have some nice colors. Here is a pic of mine.
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]