Finnex Planted+II, Planted+ Elite and Finnex 24/7

flamechica

Man...and I just got my Ray 2 in the mail today. Oh well...I probably couldn't have waited long enough for these to come out. They have some of the features I was looking for though. Next tank!

The Ray2 is definitely still a good light, that's for sure. And if you're like me, you will most likely add more LED fixtures on your tank anyway. So, think of it as a stepping stone for your tank :D

I have 3 light fixtures on my 55 gallon tank. I'm thinking of possibly replacing the 48" Finnex StingRay with one of these newer ones!

flamechica

My hubby said I just about blinded him with this one. I can't imagine having more than 1 on a tank. Lol! I can't wait to get the tank set up and see it on it. It will be a huge difference from my T5 that I have on my 10g. I got the Ray 2 for my hex tank since it's 25" tall. I knew I would need a good light for it.

Ohhhh... well, for your hex tank, then yes... you'll probably be good with just one. :)
With the longer tanks, especially ones that have a larger width on them like a 40 breeder, 75gallon and 90gallon (just to name a few), would need more than one fixture, because if you put the fixture towards the back of the tank, it only lights up the back part of the tank and some of the middle. Thus, you're better off getting another one, so you can add it towards the front. Etc...

But for a hex, then yeah, a single Ray 2 should do the trick! :D

A

Anonymous

The fresh water planted lighting gods have once again spoken. Take that Current, whatcha going to do next?

Are these on the market yet? I have been looking into Kessel lighting which have some of these same features but much more compact. The whole color tweaking, fade on fade off, built in timers are very appealing to me. I may pick up a couple to check them out.

flamechica

PokeSephiroth said:
Ohhhh... well, for your hex tank, then yes... you'll probably be good with just one. :)
With the longer tanks, especially ones that have a larger width on them like a 40 breeder, 75gallon and 90gallon (just to name a few), would need more than one fixture, because if you put the fixture towards the back of the tank, it only lights up the back part of the tank and some of the middle. Thus, you're better off getting another one, so you can add it towards the front. Etc...

But for a hex, then yeah, a single Ray 2 should do the trick! :D

Good to know! I'm thinking by the time I am ready to set up my long 55g these will probably be on the market. I haven't looked at the 55g, but I think it has 2 T5 fixtures in it and I doubt that will be enough for what I am wanting to do.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
I'm currently waiting for the latest prototype to test. The 24/7 light is the one they are working on at the moment. They had a bunch of things destroyed and are being remade since they didn't meet quality standards. The port delays on both sides, USA and China, have caused production delays. It was supposed to launch in Feb, now they are quoting me late March. I was to have my prototype about 2 weeks ago, but now they said they'll let me know when the next version arrives over here for me to test out and make a video on.

The price point they are shooting for is similar to the current planted plus price.

fishNAbowl said:
Are these on the market yet?

As Aquarium Co-Op has stated, finnex ran into a bump, so their a little behind on their products. I read that the Planted+ Elite is still in the works, so I'm sure that will be the one that comes out last, out of the three... Of course, the most sought out item is the one we have to wait the longest for. Hahaha... worth it though! :)

tazeat

The 24/7 would be interesting, but I'm fairly happy with old lights on a timer, I guess as long as the new ones aren't ridiculously more expensive they'd be quite appealing for any new lights

I do like the fact that the 24/7 allows you to have moonlights on a separate timer, or however it works. That was one of the bigger issues that their current fixtures had, but I think in order to cut costs, they had to deal away with a separate circuit for the moonlights.

The 24/7 addresses this issue now. SO yay for Finnex for listening to their customers! :)
I'm still really eyeballing that Planted+ Elite. Their black fixtures look so mesmerizing.

flamechica

PokeSephiroth said:
I do like the fact that the 24/7 allows you to have moonlights on a separate timer, or however it works. That was one of the bigger issues that their current fixtures had, but I think in order to cut costs, they had to deal away with a separate circuit for the moonlights.

The 24/7 addresses this issue now. SO yay for Finnex for listening to their customers! :)
I'm still really eyeballing that Planted+ Elite. Their black fixtures look so mesmerizing.

Yeah, the timer thing was one of my biggest issues with the moonlights, so I decided that if I want them, I will add them separately later, so they can both be on timers...then I saw this post. Oh well, like I said, I needed a light pretty soon. Hopefully, my hubby will be done cleaning and resealing the tank within the next week or so and I can start setting up and cycling soon. I will consider one of these for one of the next tanks I have to set up.

I got the 48" Finnex Planted plus w/moonlights last August, within a month the entire "moonlight" portion quit working and now only 3/4 of the daylight portion is still working. and Finnex doesn't warranty thier lights if used near a water source... ummmm... the light is designed to be used on an aquarium that contains water!! ( and this was normal 8-10 hours a day on daylight setting and maybe an hour or two on moonlight before bed, so it wasn't abused and never dropped into tank). I hope the new lights have fixed this problem.

whtknightgdhart said:
I got the 48" Finnex Planted plus w/moonlights last August, within a month the entire "moonlight" portion quit working and now only 3/4 of the daylight portion is still working. and Finnex doesn't warranty thier lights if used near a water source... ummmm... the light is designed to be used on an aquarium that contains water!! ( and this was normal 8-10 hours a day on daylight setting and maybe an hour or two on moonlight before bed, so it wasn't abused and never dropped into tank). I hope the new lights have fixed this problem.

I'm looking at a 24/7, where does it say in the warranty about being used near a water source?

This is what I'm seeing on Finnex' website:

Improper Application - Units are intended for indoor aquarium use only! Application for anything but the noted is not recommended and voids warranty coverage.

Dry Burns - Dry burning the heater tubes are not covered. This can occur when your heating element is not fully submersed beneath water. Exposing the heating element to air while heating will cause a dry burn which will not be covered.

Water Damage - Water damage to heater controller and lighting fixtures alike will be void of their warranty.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
I believe their official stance is if it shows water damage. Basically water and electronics don't mix. If you drop it in the aquarium that is on you. If you have a bubbler sitting under it, it's going to get wet.