fin rot in swordtails?

Renea

I have a male sword tail that I got from the pet store on may,20,16 and it is displaying signs of fin rot. his lips though are white and it looks like they also have some sort of fungus on them. any suggestions on what I should do?

Renea

UPDATE; he died while we were getting supplies to treat it. :/ will at least we have a guaranty on it.

Renea

And now, upon further examination I see rot starting to appear on one of the females. we are now treating her and doing a 75% water change.

BabyGirl77

Always be careful about getting your fish from Farmland. They are getting better with taking care of their fish, but some just have diseases and succumb to the disease. Always take a good look at the fish and try to pick out healthy ones.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Can you give us the water parameters of the tank. If another fish is developing fin rot there might be more going on then where the fish were purchased.

A 75% water change may be a bit drastic. You might try 40% a couple times a week until it's cleared up. There is also meds for the bacterial infections that may need to be dosed.

Before taking anyone's advice, let's figure out tank parameters water change cycle and food.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your female!