Excited to try cobalt predator pellets

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
43760342-D1DE-4E98-B894-433BEAF24BE6.jpeg 9298BB08-2F57-4ECF-BBF0-FBB98F4C826E.jpeg D8449C33-EA0A-4F10-967F-299DA0EF212C.jpeg I stopped into aquarium paradise in Lakewood yesterday to pick up a couple of things ( supporting a good local business) and came across a new line of food they are carrying from cobalt....

I decided on the predator pellets for my up and coming aggressive cichlids. they had various foods for all types of fish besides the one I bought! The ingredients really shocked me as they aren’t full of fillers ( like some “gold standard” brands).

my fish took them without hesitation on the first feeding last night ( fish include: RTM pair, umbee pair, red Dovii, Trimac, chanco, and polleni) . I will update this thread with the more time I use them( I did notice that the pellets crumble pretty easy probably because of a lack of binder).

check out the pictures, and of course if you have been using Cobalt foods already, let me know your impressions!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Looking forward to your thoughts on this. Had seen it online but had not ordered to try yet.

Modest_Man

Interesting for a predator pellet that four of the top five ingredients by weight are plant based.

Their cichlid pellet has six of the top seven ingredients by weight as animal based. (PRAWNS, JUMBO SQUID MEAL, DRIED SPIRULINA ALGAE, WHOLE ANCHOVY, WHOLE SARDINE, WHOLE SCAD, JINGA SHRIMP).

Nutrient profiles for both are pretty similar.

Here's an interesting video on feeding cichlids from Dan at COTA down in Florida.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting for a predator pellet that four of the top five ingredients by weight are plant based.

Their cichlid pellet has six of the top seven ingredients by weight as animal based. (PRAWNS, JUMBO SQUID MEAL, DRIED SPIRULINA ALGAE, WHOLE ANCHOVY, WHOLE SARDINE, WHOLE SCAD, JINGA SHRIMP).

Nutrient profiles for both are pretty similar.

Here's an interesting video on feeding cichlids from Dan at COTA down in Florida.

i find it interesting as well. Even with the plant based ingredients it has a real strong shrimp smell to them.....

I also appreciate the video you shared..... I don’t personally buy fish from Dan anymore... I’ve had two orders I was disappointed in! His amphilophus chanco are grey colored amphs, same with his Amarilla..... many have speculated that they may have been accidentally crossed.

On another order where I got in trimacs, I grew them up to 8-9” and they had zero color and were disappointing ( just like the chanco I ordered from him 7-8 months prior.
Now of course, he could have updated his breeders, but I haven’t gone and looked at his sight since (2-3 years).

I do agree with his food based ideals and I feed very similarly ( with a mix of foods and specifics for certain fish).

over the last decade I still believe southern delight to be the best staple food as fish grown beautifully on it and look amazing.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
How has the new food been doing? Readily accepted? Noticeable color improvement yet?

I have done mixed food over the years with the big names like NLS, OmegaOne, Hikari being used and the trying out product from Northfin, Dainichi, Xtreme and Southern Delight. I really am not a food snob and feel most foods are similar in nature but also have a budget since I have 6 tanks to feed. So Im always on the lookout for a good product at a reasonable price. This Cobalt line has intrigued me...

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
It has been readily accepted by all the fish in garage. Unfortunately, I can’t come to a conclusion on it as they also eat kens and southern delight.....

the pellets are more like floating sticks which is great, but for my largest fish ( umbee, Dovii, trimac, chanco, and pike) they need larger pellets to fill them up