emersed tank set up

L190

Recently i received an 55 acrylic tank and a stand for FREE!!! I was going to flip the tank but I recently found someone who is willing to sell me rarer crypts. Problem is that they are emersed grown, so instead of buying them and trying to convert them to aquatic life I decided to start a tank just for them.
This is what the tank and stand looked like when i received them.
55 acrylic.jpg
The stand was in pretty bad shape so I decided to reinforce it. I used 2x4 to do so. At the time I thought it was a good idea but after finishing it, I should of went with thinner pine planks instead. Using 2x4, I made the tank 5 times heavier. I also painted the stand per my wife's request.
stand1.jpg
For lighting I consulted Seattle aquarist, a fellow member on wafishbox, TPT, APC... He told me that growing plants emeresed doesn't require "aquarium lights" and i could use shop lights with "daylight" bulbs, which would be cheaper. I decided to go with this and bought a 4 lamp t8 light fixture. I knew i wanted to go with LED since LED are the rage right now. I wanted to get 6500k bulbs but they didn't make bulbs that you can put right into the fixture. They sold 6500k bulbs which required you to pull off the ballast and rewire the fixture, something I can do but I am too lazy to do it. I had to settle for 5000k bulbs which i am pretty sure can grow plants.
To hang the lights I bent some 1/2" conduit pipe to make light hangers and hung the light. Here is what it looks like right now, I am happy with the look and brightness..
Lights off: light off.jpg lights on:lights on.jpg
I'm not sure how i am going to scape the tank yet. I am thinking of doing a river manifold in the front and make a bank in the back to grow the plants. I also plan to make an automated mister to mist the plants daily so i don't have to do it. I'll update you guys on what I build for this tank.

FishBeast

yeah i am torn between filling the tank with 1/2 water or making it a terarrium and misting it every so often. Any ideas on how i can make it 1/2 submerged?
If you seal it tightly do you think the humidity would be enough to maintain leaf moisture?

L190

What about Hill/cliff style. =)
I was thinking of that but need to make a structure to hold the hill/cliff. I was thinking of adding soil in the tank but think it will leak a lot of nutrients into the water which will result in green water. I am thinking of building a structure with lighting egg crate and potting each crypt with soil to avoid massive amounts of nutrients getting into the water

Mike16T

I was thinking of that but need to make a structure to hold the hill/cliff. I was thinking of adding soil in the tank but think it will leak a lot of nutrients into the water which will result in green water. I am thinking of building a structure with lighting egg crate and potting each crypt with soil to avoid massive amounts of nutrients getting into the water
Super glue the rocks together.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
This is amazing. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Something cool like that? Man, I'd want to put Poison Dart frogs in it or something and then some cool fish in the "water" part. I wonder if you can do that? Anyway, I am excited to see how this turns out @L190

LOL@wife requiring paint - I support her in that.

L190

This is amazing. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Something cool like that? Man, I'd want to put Poison Dart frogs in it or something and then some cool fish in the "water" part. I wonder if you can do that? Anyway, I am excited to see how this turns out @L190

LOL@wife requiring paint - I support her in that.
I'm glad she made me paint it. looks so much better painted. I would love to put some frogs in it but want to make this as low maintenance as possible. Because of this, i am thinking maybe going with some zebra danios or i can go with red cherry shrimp