Ember Tetra Turning Black?

I've been reading around the interwebs about ember tetras turning black, but no one seems to know what the cause is or how exactly to treat it.

It doesn't look like fuzzy stuff so I've ruled out fungal infections. I've read that it may be some kind of bacterial infection, unfortunately whenever people try to treat their ember tetras with anything, it doesn't seem to work.

Seems like euthanasia is the last thing that they've had to do.
I haven't really noticed any odd behavior with my particular ember tetra, still schools with the others and the others look healthy except for this one. It baffles me!! It even eats like a pig during feeding time.

I still can't imagine what it could be... I keep my water parameters at good levels, no ammonia, no nitrites, and an agreeable amount of nitrates (for the plants). pH is at 6.8 and has been steady at that level. I can't remember what the hardness is but I know that it's high enough to prevent any drastic pH swings.

What really bothers me though, is that it's just that individual fish.

Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• image (1).jpg
    image (1).jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 55
Black area is getting bigger and looks like it's starting to spread. I've gone and isolated the ember tetra.

Seems to be doing fine otherwise. I'm more worried about it stressing out now that it's by itself.

Other fish in the display tank don't seem to be showing any symptoms of this weird "disease"

Still can't find anything much about it.

Maybe this ember tetra has some self identity issues. Prolly thinks it's a rasbora heteromorpha (harlequin rasbora)

Hahahaha

flamechica

Sorry, you still can't figure out what is up with your Tetra. Good thing it hasn't spread to other fish. I hope you can figure out what is up with the little guy soon.

MorganEA

could just be hyperpigmentation I was reading on monsterfishkeepers where a chocolate cichlid developed black splotches.

I've been scouring the interwebs for answers, and still nothing.
People have been reporting this odd "disease" and yet, no one is still conclusive with anything. They've tried dosing with various medications (different cases, different meds, etc...) and either ends up killing the fish, or nothing happens and the blackened area still exists.

QUITE PUZZLING.

flamechica said:
That sucks. Have you asked the guy at Aquarium Co Op?

By "guy" I'm guessing you mean, Cory?
I used to work at Aquarium Co-Op, and these Ember Tetras came from there when I used to work there :)
I haven't asked him directly, usually he's on here and will answer any questions when he sees them.

flamechica

Yeah, I suppose that is who I mean. I have only been in there a couple times since getting back into the hobby and I'm not real good with names.

A

Anonymous

If everything seems healthy I bet it's one of those genetic things. I've had a few fish that started out a solid color then developed dark to black splotches as they matured. Plecos, Angel fish, ect.... I too have a school of Embers but have not seen any go dark. Mine have all colored up to a bright fire orange looking color.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Im not exactly sure whats going on there. But i wouldnt rule out cancer. In swordtails for instance black pigment ccancer.can v ause cancer. This is why you never see a full black swordtail. The closest youll see is a black berlin sword where the body and swors is black but the fins are clear. When too much of the black gene is present it causes cancer.

That being said it could be anything, but i wouldnt rule out cancer or a tumor. Although typotypically with a tumor you notice it because of a bulge.

Ember tetras are a rather transparant fish. Especially when stressed. it could be a camcerous growth showing through and the fish b is strsssed leading to it fading color evebeven More.

The end result is there is b probably nothing you can do for it.