Discus spawning

thecarl

I caught my discus spawning tonight. The female previously had a mate that died, apparently she's found a new younger mate to spawn with. All this going on in my 75 gallon community planted tank. I was even able to get a video, they apparently don't care about me moving around their tank but they've been chasing off anyone that tries to get to their eggs.

thecarl

I was surprised that they weren't bothered by me at all. Today all the eggs are still there, which is even more impressive for a tank with 5 angel fish, yoyo loaches, pleco's and such.

thecarl

I wanted to update, sadly all the eggs were gone after 2 days. I'm thinking about setting up a bare 20 gallon and see what happens when I put them in it in a month or two.

thecarl

New update, last Friday, they spawned again, overnight a pleco got the eggs though. Now, only 4 days later (Tuesday) they have just spawned again. I think it's time to set up a 20 gallon for them to do this in.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
New update, last Friday, they spawned again, overnight a pleco got the eggs though. Now, only 4 days later (Tuesday) they have just spawned again. I think it's time to set up a 20 gallon for them to do this in.

I can always tell when my Congo Tetras are spawning because the Red Fin Tetras are HOT ON THEIR TRAIL, gobbling up the eggs like little piggies.