Dennys Pet World - Kirkland

shua

Overall Experience 4
Cost 1
Quality of Fish 3
Variety 2
Service 5

this is my L.F.S i love and hate it i love that i know every one in there but hate that im one of the few that want big fish, so they never order them.

AD2CRL

I wont knock Denny's experience, but all others that work in the store ehhh. Service and price's are umm terrible. Lets be honest here though, its in Kirkland in which the prices reflect. Nice variety but thats about it. My only advice going to this store bring a full checkbook you will need it!

A

Anonymous

Good store, shop here often. I got a decent deal on 2 adult Leopard Centapoma. They have a good plant selection as well.

Overall Experience 4
Cost 2 (typical retail)
Quality of Fish 3
Variety 3
Service 5 (find the managers they are living encyclopedias)

A

Anonymous

Overall Experience 4
Cost 2
Quality of Fish 3
Variety 4
Service 5

I visited this store a few days ago and had a pretty good experience. I love their saltwater display tanks...they are pretty awesome. I thought they had a fairly decent variety of African Cichlids though the prices were too high. One of the guys in the fish room was very knowledgeable and helpful which was refreshing since most of the fish employees I encounter seem less than qualified to be working in fish. Kirkland is a bit of a drive from Lake Stevens but I would definitely visit again if in the area

hawaiian opae

Im sure you are talking about Jesse in fish. Dude knows his stuff and if he doesn't know he will look it up right then and there and give you an informed answer. Best service in a fish department I ever had. Prices are a little high but if you wait for Jesse it is a small price to pay for his service. I go in there with my two sons and he speaks to them as customers and gives them as much attention and help even if they are only buying two swordtails. If Jesse left the fish dept there would be no reason for me to go there. I can pay less somewhere else but I can not get that kind of service or patients when my kids want help or have questions for uncle Jesse.

Reactions: Mac

MarineLand

Overall Experience - 1
Cost - 2
Quality of Fish - 1
Variety - 1
Service - 1

This was my main source for saltwater only because it is closest to me. After my most recent visit, I will not go back to this store or spend another penny there. The guy back in fish with the reddish hair in a pony tail (I was told by another customer his name is Clayton) was so dang rude...I returned a fish that I had just bought 2 days prior that had Ich. When I got there with the fish and told him who I was (I had just spoken with him on the phone), he just said "Ok" and continued to do what he was doing and just left me standing there holding the fish. I stood for several minutes starting to feel awkward when finally a woman he seemed to be helping told him to help me 1st. He said "No, don't worry about it" and continued to talk to her. Never once did he tell me he would help me soon or anything. He just ignored me and left me to stand holding the fish. I finally set the bag with the fish down on the counter in the fish room and walked to the fish room entrance because I was feeling so uncomfortable and awkward standing near him for that long while he just ignored me. I finally caught another employee who refunded me my money.

This store needs to teach that young man how to provide proper customer service. A little consideration for customers goes a long way. I will take my business elsewhere.

The saltwater selection is small. They charge to test water parameters (That's a 1st, in my experience). Their saltwater displays are nice and so is Jesse, the fish manager.

A

Anonymous

Overall Experience 4
Cost 3
Quality of Fish 4
Variety 4
Service 4

I went here this summer. Cool place, clean, helpful, ok prices. Jesse guy was honest and fair. I traded some very aggressive african cichlids that I didn't want. I went just trade them for a 20gal air pump but he said go for the 40gal air pump.  Much better than what I was asking for. They got alot of variety of fishes. Maybe will drive there again when I go up Bellevue.  Maybe

cichlid-gal

Overall Experience 4
Cost 3
Quality of Fish 4
Variety 4
Service 4

We stopped at Denny's yesterday on our way to the GSAS members meeting. The fish section is huge with lots of variety in regard to equipment and supplies. We saw some new and unusual items that we had never seen before at other stores or on-line which made it fun looking around. Tons of tank setups and some very nice display tanks. We thought they had a great selection of freshwater, saltwater, plants, and inverts available. There was also a nice african cichlid section in the fish room. Lots of rocks and wood. The tanks were clean and bright with healthy looking fish. Overall we really enjoyed visiting this store and would recommend it.

NightFury

Overall Experience 3
Cost -1
Quality of Fish 3
Variety 3
Service 5

Love the store and employees, but hate the pricing. Even when they run their sales, most fish are still cheaper elsewhere. Lately a lot of the tanks have been unavailable for sale. I'm sure its a supplier issue, but it doesn't make me want to bring anything home.

Bob

Overall Experience 4
Cost 1
Quality of Fish 4
Variety 5
Service 5

First trip to the store. I was blown away by high prices. 75 gallon with stand and hood $1349... No lights or glass tops. Prices on freshwater fish were about average, some more $ some less $. Good price on Electric Blue Rams at $15 i believe. Lots of different freshwater shrimp which was nice. Didnt catch the name of the young guy in the fish area but was very friendly. Had some really nice display tanks large and nano.

flamechica

Overall experience: 1
Cost: 3
Quality of fish: 1
Variety: 3
Service: 2

I went here awhile back and they had several tanks that were sick, which should've been my first clue. I had to wait over 30 min to be helped, which normally I would just walk out, but I guess I was feeling particularly patient that day. I watched the fish tanks I was choosing from for quite awhile (which were not marked as sick tanks), because I am leery of buying from new places, especially when they have so many sick tanks. The fish appeared ok. One of the tanks 2 of the fish were in had about 20 small potted plants in it. In order to find the fish I wanted, they had to tank 2 nets and swirl the plants around and cause complete chaos in the tank. Very stressful on the poor fish in that tank. When I got home, one died before it even made it out of the bag during acclimation. I should've took them all back to the store right then and there, but I was hoping he just got stressed out from all the chaos from being caught and the ride home or squished in the corner of the bag or something. The other fish looked and seemed ok. That is when my nightmare struck, since I don't have a quarantine tank, though I am working on that now. Over the next 3 weeks, I fought mouth fungus and ich in my tank and spent quite a bit on meds and a new air pump to add extra aeration to the tank. Out of the 4 new fish only 1 survived. Luckily, all the fish I had previously survived. I was so mad about the whole thing, I didn't even return the dead fish because I didn't want anymore of their crappy fish. I have kept fish successfully for many years without a quarantine tank with very few issues. I will never go back to this store again.

ziggyzoo

flamechica said:
Overall experience: 1
Quality of fish: 1
Variety: 3
Service: 2

I went here awhile back and they had several tanks that were sick, which should've been my first clue. I had to wait over 30 min to be helped, which normally I would just walk out, but I guess I was feeling particularly patient that day. I watched the fish tanks I was choosing from for quite awhile (which were not marked as sick tanks), because I am leery of buying from new places, especially when they have so many sick tanks. The fish appeared ok. One of the tanks 2 of the fish were in had about 20 small potted plants in it. In order to find the fish I wanted, they had to tank 2 nets and swirl the plants around and cause complete chaos in the tank. Very stressful on the poor fish in that tank. When I got home, one died before it even made it out of the bag during acclimation. I should've took them all back to the store right then and there, but I was hoping he just got stressed out from all the chaos from being caught and the ride home or squished in the corner of the bag or something. The other fish looked and seemed ok. That is when my nightmare struck, since I don't have a quarantine tank, though I am working on that now. Over the next 3 weeks, I fought mouth fungus and ich in my tank and spent quite a bit on meds and a new air pump to add extra aeration to the tank. Out of the 4 new fish only 1 survived. Luckily, all the fish I had previously survived. I was so mad about the whole thing, I didn't even return the dead fish because I didn't want anymore of their crappy fish. I have kept fish successfully for many years without a quarantine tank with very few issues. I will never go back to this store again.

Ya I was just there.. The angelfish tank was the sadest thing iv ever seen! There was like 7 dead ones in it and I stood there for 20 mins and no one ever even came into the fish room. The fish quality is low, but I do like the prices. Their lights are the cheapest iv seen, and they have big fish in occasionally that are a decent price, but ya they will get sick fast if no one buys em quick.

hose91

Overall Experience 4
Cost 3
Quality of Fish 4
Variety 4
Service 4

Dry goods are still expensive, but they had a fair amount of stuff on sale, so not bad overall. Good selection of both fresh and saltwater fish, and they have a nice plant display tank. Fish/plant prices seem to be in line with the local market, as best I can tell. Tanks looked fairly clean and healthy on this visit. Some were marked as not ready for sale, which is encouraging in terms of ethical sales. The fish room had 3 staffers in it, all were helpful and enthusiastic. The lead manager is quite knowledgeable and I'd probably purchase from him. I was looking for some Geophagus, but they had only Red Head Tapajos, and maybe only 1 of those in the tank. Otherwise, a pretty decent selection.

owenjmayer

Overall Experience: 3.5
Quality of Fish: 3
Variety: 4
Service: 3.5

The thing about the above scores is that they're hugely variable depending on how the staff are feeling that day. I've been sporadically visiting Denny's for the last 10-12 years, and find that it's hit or miss on if the experience is going to be a good one or a bad one, regardless of who the staff members on duty are. I've had professional, attentive service, and I've had times where the staff seemed more interested in chatting with someone they knew rather than help me when I've wanted to make a purchase, and consequently left the store empty-handed.

Recently visited the new store location (it's less than a mile from the old place) and it looks nice, though the aquatics department is still getting set up. I do love the display tanks at this store, but often I go somewhere else unless I'm looking to knock out fish and cat stuff in one go.

Loren

Overall Experience: 4
Quality of Fish: 4
Variety: 4
Service: 4

I will add on to the review posted last night. First of all the new store is worth going to just to see. It is laid out nicely, well light, and has some beautiful show tanks. It is also great because it is like a little "Petco or Petsmart" and therefore the wife is more receptive to going because she can also see the bunnies, cats, etc. The pricing is in line with other LFS's with some fish being reasonably priced and some being priced high. The fish room staff seemed helpful and I have had several pleasant conversations with the fish room manager. It doesn't hurt that it is also the closest LFS to my house.