Dechlorinate Tap Water?

Stingro

How do you guys do it and what brand do you use?

I like Prime because for $10 you can dechlorinate 2,500 gallons of tap water. I like to dechlorinate 5 or 10 gallons of water for my little fish for at least 24 hours. Having a pump running to make sure it is completely stirred. For my bigger tank and bigger fish I have a 20 gallon container with the tap water running, run a pump to stir while another water pump, pumps it into my tank. I add the dechlorinator in the container before it reaches the tank. There are times I also add in the tank to make sure there are no bromine in the aquarium.

How do you guys do it? I'm very curious.

lymitliss

I throw my hose in the tank and fill it back up, sometimes I squirt Ultimate into the water as it's filling, sometimes I wait till it's done and squirt some in front of the power head or filter return so it mixes nicely...I don't measure it out, I just grab and squeeze. I'm sure I tend to use a little too much.

I'm sure the argument could be made that it's harder on the fish than dechlorinating before you add the water to the tank, but it's so quick I don't think it makes a difference. Never had any trouble doing it this way.

Betty

Staff member
I throw my hose in and fill as well. I use Seachem Safe to dechlorinate. It's a powder -- I sprinkle a tiny bit into the tank as I start filling and a little more about halfway through. A little goes a long, long way. (no rays, I keep cichlids)

Stingro

So is it true that all these dechlorinator are instantaneous? No need for any wait period?