Culling

Ali

In my school of Endler's there are two females with deformities. One has a perfectly normal head, but a little scrawny body. Insanely skinny, and a weak swimmer. The other has a very pronounced hunchback, but does just fine in the tank. I can't imagine the skinny one could breed, because if there was any way she was pregnant I could see a dramatic difference. Just in case I definitely don't want to pass on those genetics.

What do you guys do in this situation? I don't have any big predatory fish to feed them to.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
There are a couple of ways. If you prefer not to cull them you could separate the two into their own smaller manageable tank and let them live out their lives. If you prefer to cull there are a few options.

1. put them in some water in a bag in the freezer. They will slowly "go to sleep"
2. get super cold water and put in a bunch of ice then put the fish in. Temperature shock will kill them.
3. clove oil, you can get at health food stores, put clove oil in some water at a high concentration and put the fish in. The clove oil acts as a sedative, in low doses can be used to make fish manageable for teeth trimmings and maintenance. When in heavy doses it acts like euthanasia for mammals.
4. hit them over the head. Being endlers clearly that is difficult to do. Personally this would be my last choice.

I would choose the clove oil method or ice water bath as those two would be the quickest. Clove oil being the least painful method. But if I had the means I would probably let them live out their lives, if they aren't suffering, in a separate tank.

Betty

Staff member
I would let them live out there lives if I could make sure they weren't reproducing. Chances are they wouldn't live too long anyway.

As much as I hate doing it, sometimes there is a need to put a fish down. I've used the clove oil method and also before I knew about clove oil, a quick blow to the head. Sounds terrible, but it's quick. I can't bring myself to put fish in the freezer while they are fully conscious. That seems like it takes too long.

It may sound cold and ruthless to some of you, but I think the most humane method is to get them in the net and quickly slam it against the inside of a sink or toilet. Quick and done. In nature they would probably have been eaten either whole or in bits and pieces, or they would have starved to death . I can't imagine what it would be like to begin being digested while still living. I guess they would suffocate first though...another unpleasant thought.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
If it's a salmon coming to my plate I can smack it with a stick no problem. lol but one of my pets is a different story. I prefer the clove oil method, of course it is all at personal preference and what the person themselves is capable of. I know an angel breeder and she uses the extremely cold ice water method for culling her angel fry.

Bob

I would not use the freezing method either, it's very old school method and new research coming out shows it can be very painful for fish, since they are cold blooded. You wouldnt put a warm blooded animal in an oven to humanely put it down.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
^ exactly. That's how I feel about it too. In the end to each their own in which method they use. But I prefer clove oil or ice bath

Ali

I have a friend that uses an Alka Seltzer tab in a cup of water, apparently the high CO2 concentration knocks them out quickly. Endler's are so small I don't think swinging them into a wall would get much impact, and I'd rather avoid the mess of a knife.

I have that hydroponics mini-tank I originally got for the betta, but he is having such a grand time in the big tank I don't want to put him back there. These two can live (if they're going to) in there and make poop to feed my plants.