Copper based meds

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I have recently been treating ich with cupramin and @sir_keith provided the following link. Within the initial article is a link from University of Florida. Kh has a direct effect on the use of copper based meds and their potency. Once Kh is determined divide by 100 and that's is the dosage level. For any water with a Kh of 50 or below copper is not recommended. My most recent water tests showed a Kh range of 50-100.

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa006#:~:text=Water temperature has a tremendous,to 5 treatments is required.

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa008

Last edited:

Betty

Staff member
Were you able to get the ich taken care of?

I have used copper based meds in the past, but didn't know about testing the alkalinity.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Were you able to get the ich taken care of?

I have used copper based meds in the past, but didn't know about testing the alkalinity.
Yes, tomorrow will be the 14 day mark from the second dose of cupramine. I will get to do a 50% or better water change and run carbon to clear out the meds tomorrow.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Been dealing with an Ich outbreak myself. Problem started with a rescue clown loach that got it for the second time. Went from a couple spots to covered in spots overnight. I had to put it down. I treated tank with Kordon Rapid-Cure. I still have a bit of time left on my treatment. Ugh... Thankfully the rest of the fish barely got it and are actually clean looking but going through the 14 day process too.

Did you have to pull the pleco out due to distress?

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Been dealing with an Ich outbreak myself. Problem started with a rescue clown loach that got it for the second time. Went from a couple spots to covered in spots overnight. I had to put it down. I treated tank with Kordon Rapid-Cure. I still have a bit of time left on my treatment. Ugh... Thankfully the rest of the fish barely got it and are actually clean looking but going through the 14 day process too.

Did you have to pull the pleco out due to distress?
No, I left them in. They had ich and I didn't have anywhere else to put them.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
No, I left them in. They had ich and I didn't have anywhere else to put them.
Could always set up another tank, lol

My plecos did well and did not seem to get it. Saw a couple spots on the platies, gourami and maybe an angel but the tetra’s and the other gourami and angel seemed fine.