Convicts breeding? Say it ain't so!

Spyral

Yeah. my big male convict took his pick of 7 females and they dug out all the gravel in a cave, shooed all the other fish away and got busy. I woke up this morning to about 500 eggs stuck to the slate walls of the cave and an expectant Poppa nd Momma guarding their clutch. I stuck some foam sponges over my intakes and am now waiting to see how many of these suckers hatch.

Oh, I may have some convicts for giving away soon..lol

Spyral

Ok, so now there are 2 separate clutches of eggs..lol. And I just constructed another "breeding cave" for my guys. A new couple has already moved in.

I got my fry tank all set too..as soon a s these suckers are big enough, I'll have a tank load of tasty snacks!

Madness

Staff member
Sweet. :) Those females I gave you are doing their job. I have 1 pair left, and they are in my Umbee tank. There are 16 Umbee ranging from 3" to 6", 3 Devils about 4", 1 redish Flowerhorn, 2 Loisellei, and 2 Jags @ 4". This pair of Cons is maybe 2" ea, and they have free swimming fry all over one area of the tank, and they are doing a darn good job keeping everyone away. Im sure the litter is shrinking each day, but still quite a few still swimming around.

Gotta love the live food. :punk:

Madness

Staff member
Aren't they like Convivts? In the way of breeding all the time, and anywhere.

Kaie

yeah pretty much. Rams too but rams suck at parenting and will eat either the eggs or the fry.

I got rid of the Krib parents, but i still have the like 75 fry.