CO2 tips, hints, and tricks?

cafman

So now I'm leaning towards a CO2 system. Turns out my wife "likes the plants in my tank more than the fish". I'm looking for a legit setup that won't run at night. There is too many choices if you google CO2 aquarium system. Anyone have links, tips or advice? I want a good setup but don't want to spend more than I have to. I've been reading about this for a few days but there is so many choices. Anyone have a link for a good but cheap kit?

icer711

Look into the paintball setups I think the kits 50-75 and u can get the cylinder just about anywhere ...big 5 by still fill them I belive

sandnuka

thats a pretty small tank for a really strong C02 system.... I think a DIY ladder system would be more than sufficent...

Kianna

sandnuka said:
thats a pretty small tank for a really strong C02 system.... I think a DIY ladder system would be more than sufficent...
I was thinking the same thing.

I use this on 2 different 20gals with 96w t5ho lighting and I pull buckets of plants out of them each week.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/207555/product.web

...it has a nice venturi pump/diffuser and I use a DIY mix ( 1 cup sugar-1tsp yeast-warm water)...change mix every 14 days.

Heres a very bad pic of one of the 20 gallons...been up and running for almost 2 years now.

sandnuka

Holy moly! look at thoughs plants! they are gorgeous! 96 watts in a 20gal! how do you keep the alge away? You think that much lights would cause a huge alge bloom.

Well, DIY setup definetly got my vote. :)

Kianna

sandnuka said:
Holy moly! look at thoughs plants! they are gorgeous! 96 watts in a 20gal! how do you keep the alge away? You think that much lights would cause a huge alge bloom.

Well, DIY setup definetly got my vote. :)

Thank you!

It's all about balance. I started out with 48w no co2 no ferts. Then added the co2 (got algae)....then added ferts--Seachems line (got algae)....then added another 48w (got aglae).....then added amano shrimp (good)....then add nerite snails (good).....then added oto (good)....then added seachem excel every other day......then it finally balanced out. At one year changed all 4 bulbs (got algae....again)...lol Now I change 1 bulb at a time.....balance!

I gave away a bunch of plants to someone yesterday from here that came by to get some BN. I just happened to have a bucket full that I was throwing out!

Kianna

Oh and lights are on 10hrs--co2 24/7 with a airstone running on a timer at night/lights out.

flo77

How much do you want to invest in your CO2 system?
DIY system are cheaper at the beginning but are very messy and out of control. I've used both systems(sugar-yeast generator or pressurized system) and I would recommend the pressurized system. If you decide to go on that direction there are a lot of options on line.
Kianna: Beautiful tank!

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
In my opinion, I wouldn't add co2. As it increases how fast most plants grow. In a 29g, you're gonna be cutting it back at least weekly.

He was able to avoid the algae bloom by using the floating plants.