Cloudy Water

Does anybody have any ideas why this tank won't clear up? I have 2 large sponge filters and a Tetra Whisper 40i going in it. I've tried a few different filter media in the 40i, I tried a bag of bio balls just to have extra bio filtration, then I put the standard filter cassettes, then a big sponge, right now I have a bunch of filter floss in it. None seen to help clear the water. This photo is the day after a 50% water change. This tank has been going for a month and a half. I set up a 20 and a 40b the same day and both are crystal clear. I've never had any of my tanks take this long but to get balanced and clear up. Any ideas?

Should I just give it more time?
Start from scratch?
Remove some fish to lower the bio load until it fixed itself?
c17b1286475cfea8e7d9c1cb3b56cc13.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

FishBeast

Bacteria bloom possible but more likely suspended particulate... squeeze out them sponges in old tank water, crank the air flow or better yet add a power head or two... that should clear up. You can get water clarifier to bind the bigger particles. Keep us posted!

Bacteria bloom possible but more likely suspended particulate... squeeze out them sponges in old tank water, crank the air flow or better yet add a power head or two... that should clear up. You can get water clarifier to bind the bigger particles. Keep us posted!
Thanks. I'll keep squeezing out the sponges and refilling the filter floss. I think that is the problem because the plants are covered in junk too. I guess I'll just give it time. I usually wouldn't be too worried since most of my tanks are for breeding and for my enjoyment, but I want to use this one for a display tank once it's all planted and looks purdy.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Let me tell ya, I had a DEVIL of a time clearing up the tank I got from @Loren. I used SeaChem Flourite for part of the substrate and THAT in itself was the problemo. I did a slight water change -- there's no fish in there - getting ready for the TEXAS RED CICHLID that I am so pumped about and added ACCU-CLEAR from API. It's like crystal clear in there right now. Amazing actually.

Let me tell ya, I had a DEVIL of a time clearing up the tank I got from @Loren. I used SeaChem Flourite for part of the substrate and THAT in itself was the problemo. I did a slight water change -- there's no fish in there - getting ready for the TEXAS RED CICHLID that I am so pumped about and added ACCU-CLEAR from API. It's like crystal clear in there right now. Amazing actually.
Awesome! I'm going to try that as well.