Can anyone share experiences with crenicichla compressiceps?

I have 3 inch male in a 122gallon 54x18x29 tank i believe he enjoys he goes all over the tank i have a number of other fish that he chases of whenever they bother him

A

Anonymous

Re: Can anyone share experiences with crenicichla compressic

Did you say DWARF PIKE?! Mine are Regani tapajos. These fish share the same aggressive nature as their larger kin. Territorial, predatory species. In a large tank you should be able to make a few little nooks your fish can stake out as its territory.

I don't really see my fish 'chase'. But any smaller tetra population usually declines pretty quick. I also have dwarf type Acara and Ram cichlids in the same tank. They all have a spot and if they wander to close to the Pikes area they will finflash and dance... lol!

Neat fish!

A

Anonymous

Got pictures?

dwarfpike

They absolutely hate each other, so it's good you only have one. I when I say hate, I am not exaggerating. A keeper in Europe had a pair kill off his entire group in a 10 foot long tank. Pretty amazing for a 3" fish.

As fishNAbowl said, smaller fish will disappear. Don't assume that the fish is too big to eat, I watched my pair kill off 11 of 12 ember tetras by grabbing and crushing their heads even though they couldn't possibly swallow the fish.

I kept them with both dwarf cichlids and larger centrals. Oddly, perhaps, they were fine with the dwarves (a little chasing near the male's cave and at feeding time but otherwise left them alone) but the male killed two much, much larger central american cichlids. Pikes don't appreciate bluffing and posturing much, if they get into a fight they mean to end it.

A

Anonymous

^ That makes since. I have a larger Bolivian Ram, and 4 Dwarf Acara. When they see the Pike, it's a quick fin flash and a quick retreat. I think my male killed the female. They hung out all the time but every once in a while she would have marks on her side. A couple weeks ago I found her dead. I've been thinkin about finding a couple more and putting multiple females in the tank and see what happens...

dwarfpike

And your Tapajos Regani are several steps below on the aggression scale from the compressiceps. Your tank is huge, with lots of cover. I'm starting to think compressiceps might be best kept mbuna style with lots and lots of current.