calms?

clifford

Ever have a clam outbreak?

I haven't...until now, in decades of fish keeping. I believe them to be clams and not muscles. (although I am in no way an expert in this regard). Thought this was a pretty bizarre thing until I Google'd it and it turns out we're spending billions a year in the states on the issue (mostly due to mussels, but the clams are not innocent).

Just curious how common this is. I'm assuming they were plant hitchhikers, but have no proof of that.

Suave Guava

(Mildly related)
In my early 20s I lived on the estuary of a stream that fed into Chesapeake Bay. There was part of an ongoing study in the water adjacent to my yard to determine why invasive Pacific mollusks couldn't establish themselves in the Bay while they thrived in most other locations.
I haven't heard of a mollusk outbreak in a tank, but I'm fairly new at fishkeeping. I did know about the mollusk expenditures - but spending massive tax $ to battle invasive Asian species is a fairly standard affair; as is discovering that most of the time we brought them here intentionally and 10 years later said "Oops." (Oysters, lady beetles, carp, etc.)