Call Me Mr. Miyagi (Wooden Display Shelf Build)

whatthebloody

I have a section of an inset, in a wall that separates our living/dining area. I've been accumulating little things here and there, and it had been starting to look like ghettoville. (Cords everywhere, tanks/jars in random areas). Nothing really had a place.
NOT THE CASE ANYMORE, and I couldn't be more excited about it! My wife didn't want me to build anything in place using screws, marking the walls etc. So I measured the opening, framed the shape I wanted and slapped the finish wood panels around it.
I had my fingers crossed as I brought this sucker in and attempted to slide it in place. It did just that! Now I can hide the cords and display the tanks how they are supposed to. I'm so happy with how this turned out, and already thinking of ideas to fill this puppy up!
20200327_195934.jpg 20200329_171120.jpg20200329_171909.jpg 20200329_171841.jpg 20200329_173633.jpg 20200329_181811.jpg 20200329_171909.jpg

Last edited:

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
Beautiful! Love it! I enjoy seeing how funny little places in a home turn out to be perfect locations for aquaria!

I had a little alcove-like space at my place too, although it was floor-to-ceiling. Solved the problem like this-

IMGP6805.jpg

The acrylic tank is 30 years old; the stand is courtesy of @FishBeast. :):):)

Here's a closeup of the fishes-

image001.jpg

FishBeast

I have a section of an inset, in a wall that separates our living/dining area. I've been accumulating little things here and there, and it had been starting to look like ghettoville. (Cords everywhere, tanks/jars in random areas). Nothing really had a place.
NOT THE CASE ANYMORE, and I couldn't be more excited about it! My wife didn't want me to build anything in place using screws, marking the walls etc. So I measured the opening, framed the shape I wanted and slapped the finish wood panels around it.
I had my fingers crossed as I brought this sucker in and attempted to slide it in place. It did just that! Now I can hide the cords and display the tanks how they are supposed to. I'm so happy with how this turned out, and already thinking of ideas to fill this puppy up!
View attachment 6037 View attachment 6038View attachment 6041 View attachment 6042 View attachment 6043 View attachment 6040 View attachment 6039
That is a very calming nook!

FishBeast

Beautiful! Love it! I enjoy seeing how funny little places in a home turn out to be perfect locations for aquaria!

I had a little alcove-like space at my place too, although it was floor-to-ceiling. Solved the problem like this-

View attachment 6046

The acrylic tank is 30 years old; the stand is courtesy of @FishBeast. :):):)

Here's a closeup of the fishes-

View attachment 6047
I'm really happy that it wound up with you! Perfect for that tank and spot! :)