Bushynose Pleco babies

lilfishie

I have baby bushynose pleco's. I acquired the parents a month or so ago and was not set up for or expecting her to lay eggs, but here they are all hatched out and 1/2" in length already. Not sure how many there are. I have only seen three for sure. Saw one out of the cave a few days ago, but they are so small in a 55 gal tank, its impossible to find them. Any idea if bosemani rainbow's will eat them? I will be prepared for the next time she lays eggs. Any insight into raising these would be helpful.
Thanks

A

Anonymous

All plecos have a strong armour plating that stops most fish from consuming them. The question is are they born with that plating and the spines that adults have or do they develop as they mature. Unless your rainbows are adults I would think the little guys will be ok. But there is always a chance. I would just feed your rainbows pretty heavy for a few weeks and let the plecos get a little size to them before you go back to the regular feeding schedule. But remember more food = more waist so increase your water changes as well. Good luck and I hope it works out for you...... by the way when your ready to have me take some of those fry off your hands shoot me a pm and we can talk.

lilfishie

I think next time she lays eggs I will be able to manage them and have a better outcome. I'll let you know.

alexmuw

Next time you have bushynose pleco fry, let me know, I'll want to grab a few.

Never seen them before, they look awesome!

A

Anonymous

How many are there? And if they survive do you plan on selling/trading any of them?

lilfishie

Well the first time I looked a few days ago there were approx 10. There are a lot of places these little guys can hide in so with them all out of the cave now, I have no idea how many there are. I set up the removable cave and the next time she lays eggs, I will move them to a small tank to raise them. But when these are big enough to sex I will try pairing them up and if I have more than two pair, yes I will sell them.

lilfishie

Thanks
Gonna have to wait till they get bigger to be able to find them though. They are so tiny. Hopefully they are keeping under the big rocks and staying safe.
Here are the parents
DSC05163.jpg

Here is the tank they are in. This is an older pic. Plants have grown quite a bit. And there is some bog wood in it now too.
DSC05107.jpg

The babies are so small they get lost in the black rock.