Building The Fish Room I Never Wanted

lymitliss

The title may be a bit misleading...don't get me wrong, I'm very much looking forward to having my own fish room. I love fish, but the idea of cramming all my beautiful fish into a room in my basement was never something that was very appealing to me. After spending all this time gathering my favorite fish, why would I want to put them in a room I never spend any time in? I want all my fish out, where I can see them from the couch or dining room.

Well after a couple of years of water changes with 5 gallon buckets, and dragging a garden hose through my newly remodeled house the idea of a room dedicated to fish began to sound more appealing than ever.

I currently have 8 functioning fish tanks. A 20L that sits on my fireplace mantle in my living room, two 55g tanks that side opposite each other, on each side of the fireplace mantle, a 125g that sits up against a half wall behind my living room couch, a 29g in my bedroom, a 10g quarantine tank that is temporarily set up on my kitchen peninsula, a 55g and a 300g that are in my (soon to be) fish room in the basement.

Although I don't think I am going to be able to set up my fish room with a full auto water change system due to how the house is laid out and the current remodeling taking place, having all of (or most of) my fish tanks in one room in the basement will make maintenance much easier. I am going to set everything up for auto water change, on the off chance I manage to figure out how to make it work.
The room I'm going to be using already has a 300g monster fish tank, and a 55g grow out tank in it. I've been waiting to install tank racks until the walls and floors were done. The floors were done in low pile carpet tiles for easy cleaning and minimal water damage. There is also a bathroom with a wash tub and threaded faucet next to this room. This room is approximately 12x22'.

I've started this thread so I can track progress, as well as anyone that is interested in this build. Helpful suggestions are always welcome. Keep in mind this room is aimed at keeping my personal fish, not breeding... but if some happen to spawn, perhaps I'll sell a few.

I have included some pictures of the room I'm going to be using-

20160805_182311_zpsjaukwjsw.jpg

20160805_182317_zpsr5n8aceq.jpg

20160805_182329_zpsuafqfmwo.jpg

20160805_182351_zpsbbimxmdq.jpg

20160805_182346_zpsoq8tlv3k.jpg

lymitliss

First fish room update-

The first rack that will hold my two 55g tanks is up and just about done. I might end up wanting a small stand next to it, above the storage doors so I can hold my 22L. I am undecided as to whether or not I want to paint/stain the rack.

20160814_183129_zpslxk5ooha.jpg

20160814_183135_zpsdgdcvlqf.jpg

20160814_183149_zps4fxoif81.jpg

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
looks great! I am really excited to see its progress as you work to finish it up..... happy spawning (haha , you know it will happen)

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
I think I saw them on lowes website. What I want to know is how they hold up after I flood them 2 or 3 times :)

Madness

Staff member
A job that we recent;y completed had that carpet installed, and it was the wrong color so they pulled it all out.

lymitliss

Thanks guys. The carpet tiles are from Carpet Liquidators, works out to under $2 a square foot. The epoxy holding them down is strong, and the tiles appear to be very tough. I have high hopes for them.

Madness

Staff member
cant wait to see completed. Are you planning on using a dehumidifier for all the moisture? If not, you may want to think about using one. Other than that, I bet this is an exciting build. I so want to buy me some land and a new home and build me my ideal fishroom. Love doing that. Looking good.... :)

lymitliss

I hadn't thought too much about a humidifier, but the thought crossed my mind.

It's nice to start from scratch, but I'm definitely going to need some ideas to make sure I make the most out of this.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
cant wait to see completed. Are you planning on using a dehumidifier for all the moisture? If not, you may want to think about using one. Other than that, I bet this is an exciting build. I so want to buy me some land and a new home and build me my ideal fishroom. Love doing that. Looking good.... :)

I second that! Shawns fish room is awesome. Best I've been to and his dehumidifier makes the room a wonderful 70-80 degrees year round ( without all the humidity ).... If in your budget, I'd strongly recommend it

ArtPleco

Progress is good, fish room always the best!

I would really think about bracing your rack better. The screws that hold the side pieces won't be able to support the weight. I only mention as I would hate to see something happen

I edit cause I do see the notch out, but I still would be worried about the load bearing 2x4 going up bowing out from the weight. May still want to beef that up with extra support.

lymitliss

Small update-

Haven't had much time to make progress lately, but I did manage to make my way over to the Petsmart sale to pick up these 40 breeders. I'm still waiting for Petco to have their sale. I'll be buying other sizes of tanks at that time.

20160831_190217_zpssm5inorb.jpg

lymitliss

Added another tank to the room today. I was fortunate enough to snag a 90g corner flo. Took some scrubbing, but it cleaned up nicely. Not sure where it fits into the room yet, but I'm sure I'll manage to find a spot and fill it with something cool soon enough.

20160903_142835_zpske8cfbcr.jpg

20160903_183614_zpsjn0bdjwp.jpg

20160903_192226_zpsrbl5eeq4.jpg

20160903_193401_zpsfnm41tro.jpg

20160903_194529_zpsq6zhu8wd.jpg

Loren

Looking good. I think that I am more jealous of you owning a pickup than your new fish room. ;)

lymitliss

Well it's been a couple months since I've made much progress on my fish room. Today we knocked out another rack, this time for 6, 40g breeders. This means that I can finally get my Schoutedeni Puffer and Dovii tanks off the floor, move my Oscar and Terror tanks over, move my Hairy Puffer downstairs and possibly throw my Discus on there too.

This also allows me to clear the rack we built for two 55gs (also seen in an earlier post), and finally move my Fahaka and Mbu into my fish room.

New rack-
20161120_192101_zpsvhruahdq.jpg

20161120_192106_zpsozdyvpgj.jpg

20161120_201202_zpslmmfoumr.jpg

The rack built for 55gs that is currently holding Red/Green Terror and Oscar tanks-
20161120_202819_zpsikvundj1.jpg

20161120_202813_zpsqdzlpddx.jpg

lymitliss

Spent about 6 hours today moving tanks. Got all the tanks off of the floor and onto the new rack. Afterwards I moved the new 55s to their rightful shelves. Next, my Fahaka and Mbu will be moving downstairs into the new 55s. I'll probably end up moving my baby Discus out of their 10g and into the extra 40.

20161121_224238_zps01kbwk4z.jpg

20161121_225225_zpsrrjlbjxf.jpg

A couple fish weren't so happy about the move-

20161121_182313_zpsoiwy7qfk.jpg