Bug bites anyone? New fish food with insects

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
New fish food available..... made with insects.

Interesting product, I ordered a bag of the cichlid formula from Amazon to try out. Im not switch over anytime soon but I thought worth a try and will mix it in with my other foods.

http://www.fluvalaquatics.com/ca/freshwater/fish-nutrition/series/bug-bites/
bugbites_bck_en.jpg

I dont like the Fish Protein Concentrate as one of the ingredients. I think it does say somewhere that 40% of it is made up of insect protein so it does show as the first ingredient followed by salmon. You would think that the Ethoxyquin levels would be much lower in this food since the insects are the primary protein. Anyway I am trying the M/L cichlid pellet which is like 5-7mm and supposed to be a slow sinking.

julzhull

I got some of the pleco stuff at the Coop last week. They seem to like it. I've been using when I run out of my repashy and don't have time/too lazy to mix some up for a day or so. With my baby bristlenoses I need to not skip feedings so this seems to be a good temporary alternative to repashy for me.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I've seen nothing but awesome reviews on it. *shrugs*

Know I will be picking up the "community formula" next time I visit the Co-Op

FishBeast

Yeah live mealworms - tenebrio molitor. For the americans rather than africans but yeah they love em. Video :
dude i meant that insect mix (can't remember name) that you showed me i think you feed your oscars with it

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Just got our order in the mail from the Co-op yesterday, which included 2 bags of Bug Bites. Also, picked up a few of the new towels, all 3 of the fish tank ornament signs, a 36" Finnex Stingray light, and some more Ich-X.

What a haul!! Nice Cole!

I'm wearing my new Murphy tee as we speak. :) I finally got my order that was sent back by my insane Nazi Postal Lady.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well Amazon was a bust. The seller sold out and I got left high and dry.

So where to order it from? At times I forget about the Co-op because Im in Lakewood and its far north for me, but It was in stock and guess what? Price was better than Amazon even with my Prime membership.

I received an email that says the package was delivered today so I will try this out on my little monsters. I ordered a bag of Cichlid and a bag of Pleco.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Here it is

Pleco formula sank like a rock and the cichlid did float. The cichlids ate the floating stuff quickly but did not seem to know what to do with the sticks. Took them a bit but they ate them all up.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I dropped in some more pleco sticks last night and by then Porkchop had figured them out and was pretty eager to eat them. I am happy that the acceptance factor is so high. I hate when you try a new food and the fish turn their nose up at it and either force them to eat it a little at a time or give just give it away. There seems to be no issue with this stuff, the fish just like it.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I dropped in some more pleco sticks last night and by then Porkchop had figured them out and was pretty eager to eat them. I am happy that the acceptance factor is so high. I hate when you try a new food and the fish turn their nose up at it and either force them to eat it a little at a time or give just give it away. There seems to be no issue with this stuff, the fish just like it.

Porkchop is a smart cookie! You can't maintain a muffin top like that without plenty of protein! heh heh