Bristlenose likes his cave

MorganEA

We stopped at Aquarium Co-op today and i got a new cave for my little plecos, the smallest male has already claimed it as his.
110015.jpg

11015.jpg

tazeat

If you have females just wait until you find 20+ eggs back there :p... Or if it's a really good spot you get to see the males show some (mild) aggression between each other over it, seen that a few times.

MorganEA

That's why I had to get another cave the males were all fighting for the cone. I'm pretty sure I have 3 calico males and 3 calico females.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I've never done the caves but I do drift wood instead. I just added some female bristlenose to my tank wih my big male bristlenose..... Do you think I need a cave or will all of the drift wood piles be good enough to induce spawning?

MorganEA

From what I have read they like a cave that is closed at the back so that the male can trap the female as well as have an enclosed space to guard eggs.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
My bristlenose weren't cooperating but my 16" sailfin was.... Hope you don't mind, thought I'd share until I could get my bristlenose to cooperate

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26

tazeat

Clean your glass! Clears up the pictures a lot. White vinegar is a good pet safe glass cleaner, it's acidic, but if you get a little in the water it won't kill anything where as things with too much ammonia may.

He's a really cool looking one, I like the pattern of his tail. I wish my common pleco would come out during the day. Lights come on and he's back hiding in his spot within a second.

Betty

Staff member
Looking good, Morgan. Mine fight over caves as well. At times they all seem to want the same cave even where there are empty ones available.