Bought a couple of convicts

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
So I was at aquarium paradise today looking for some dithers to spread out aggression in my red Dovii growout tank and found that they had large convicts in stock! Standard black striped and also the pink!

I purchased one of each, but the pink one I got actually had a pink base color with faint white vertical stripes. I’ve never seen one like this before but have seen them pink with orange belly’s. Anyways, I may actually end of liking this one a lot and having to move him out of the Dovii tank (they range in size from 3-4”). I tried to get pics but the background color of the tank mixed with the color of the lights and coupled with it being new to the tank makes it hard to see. I only wish now that I had taken a pic at AP..... I’ll try to get a couple but I don’t think they will turn out ( maybe I’ll move him to my Oscar tank)

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Just decided that I’m going to move him to my bedroom 75 with the lemon Oscar and his pals

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
To give an idea of his coloring, I dug up an old pic of a midevil I once had that also had similar barring. He looked like this only with a more faint pink base color!AA949E3F-4510-44CF-ACF2-801363B8791E.jpeg

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Convicts! Yikes! How cool! These have been in the hobby like- forever! And who can't remember seeing a bunch of little ones in the LFS, with all those pretty stripes, and bringing them home to add to your community tank with tetras, platys, maybe angelfish, and the like? An early lesson in cichlid biology... :eek:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Convicts are cool fish. I had a solo male in a 29g for quite some time. Was a great little ‘wet pet’ with a ton of personality. An underrated fish for sure. You got a cool looking one @lloyd378

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Convicts! Yikes! How cool! These have been in the hobby like- forever! And who can't remember seeing a bunch of little ones in the LFS, with all those pretty stripes, and bringing them home to add to your community tank with tetras, platys, maybe angelfish, and the like? An early lesson in cichlid biology... :eek:
Haha, so true!

but if they spread the aggression around for my young rambunctious red Dovii then it’s worth the risk

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Convicts are cool fish. I had a solo male in a 29g for quite some time. Was a great little ‘wet pet’ with a ton of personality. An underrated fish for sure. You got a cool looking one @lloyd378
Thanks.... we shall see tomorrow if his colors pop back out in my bedroom tank. If they do, I’ll take some update pics

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Colors came out but he started to nip fins of my slightly smaller oscars so I tossed him back in the red Dovii tank. I haven’t checked today but I’d assume it’s still fine

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thats one thing I dont like about the cons is that they are nippy. But they have so much personality in that tiny little cichlid body, lol