Bolivian ram issues...

Chiisai

Ok so i picked up about a dozen rams from luv my fishies and when i got the, home and put them in their new 60g tank i noticed they were very pale/white. I assumed this was stress from the 30ish minute drive home and then 30ish min float time. Well that was a week ago and they are still very pale and VERY lethargic. I have been changing 5g a day and adding a bit of salt, but not sure what would cause this. They will lift off the bottom and grab food if it comes nearby. Any thoughts on whats wrong?

Eh btw temp is 78 degrees PH is 7.6 no ammonia present

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Lighting and food would be where I would look if parameters are good. Or other tank mates. I'm trying to figure out whose harassing my angels to hiding so far haven't caught anyone yet but I suspect it's my zebra obliquiden or giant danio. :/

B

big01612

ShortyKiloGyrl said:
Lighting and food would be where I would look if parameters are good. Or other tank mates. I'm trying to figure out whose harassing my angels to hiding so far haven't caught anyone yet but I suspect it's my zebra obliquiden or giant danio. :/

1st zebra obliquiden is a African cichlid from Lake Victoria. Not a good combo with you got with it. 2nd it has different water parameter requirements than angels. 3rd African cichlids are very aggressive.

Chiisai

Lighting is a single T5 10k. As far as food i have offered NLS and Kens fish flakes(its a mix of the veggie/vitamin/earthworm flakes i mixed for complete nutrition). Think its too much light?

B

big01612

Chiisai said:
Ok so i picked up about a dozen rams from luv my fishies and when i got the, home and put them in their new 60g tank i noticed they were very pale/white. I assumed this was stress from the 30ish minute drive home and then 30ish min float time. Well that was a week ago and they are still very pale and VERY lethargic. I have been changing 5g a day and adding a bit of salt, but not sure what would cause this. They will lift off the bottom and grab food if it comes nearby. Any thoughts on whats wrong?

What are the tankmates? Notice any dominant male in the group?

A

Anonymous

Chiisai said:

Do you know what the paramiters were in luvmyfishes tank? 7.6 isn't optimal but if acclaimed they should be okay...

Sounds like you may have hard water (?) .

jrygel

The pH shouldn't be too much of an issue for Bolivians. My pH runs around 7.8, and I got my Bolivians from Aquarium Co-op, which, I believe, has softer water. They've been very active and healthy. My tank does have lots of places to hide - they mostly stay near the bottom in the shadows of the plants, and my lighting is probably similar brightness to yours.

Chiisai

Only tank mates are a south american bumblebee catfish and 2 baby convict fry smaller then a pea(no idea how they got there). Cant tell if any are dominant as all seem pretty lethargic. No i forgot to ask, but i have been lowering the PH about .2 every 3 days or so. Going for 7.2PH. Even if the PH isn't optimal its a bit odd for fish to go pale and lethargic i would think. As far as cover their is a massive pot-rock, smaller pieces of pot-rock, and plants. They don't seem interested in hiding. They all crowd into a corner of the tank and sit at the bottom

B

big01612

How was the lighting in Luv_My_fishies tank the rams were in. If they were always in the dark. I saw Luv_My_Fishies massive fish collection. It might be your lights too bright than what they're used to. Do you remember how was the lighting in their old tank?

A

Anonymous

Chiisai said:
Only tank mates are a south american bumblebee catfish and 2 baby convict fry smaller then a pea(no idea how they got there). Cant tell if any are dominant as all seem pretty lethargic. No i forgot to ask, but i have been lowering the PH about .2 every 3 days or so. Going for 7.2PH. Even if the PH isn't optimal its a bit odd for fish to go pale and lethargic i would think. As far as cover their is a massive pot-rock, smaller pieces of pot-rock, and plants. They don't seem interested in hiding. They all crowd into a corner of the tank and sit at the bottom
This is wierd... Something is off! They seem to be acting like something is freaking them out.

MorganEA

do you have a back ground on the tank? try covering the back and sides for awhile, sometimes they can see their reflection and it freaks them out. Do you have any pictures of your setup?

Chiisai

big01612 said:
How was the lighting in Luv_My_fishies tank the rams were in. If they were always in the dark. I saw Luv_My_Fishies massive fish collection. It might be your lights too bright than what they're used to. Do you remember how was the lighting in their old tank?
I believe they were having lighting issues and the rams were in the dark.

MorganEA said:
do you have a back ground on the tank? try covering the back and sides for awhile, sometimes they can see their reflection and it freaks them out. Do you have any pictures of your setup?

No backround. Just the insulation in the back. Bulk fish stuff on one side and a 29gal on other side with 2 Bolivians in it. No picture let me try tonight