Black Diamond blasting sand as aquarium substrate

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I did some reading up on some people using this Black Diamond blasting sand as aquarium substrate and wanted to try it out. You can get a 50lb bag of this stuff for about $9 at your local Tractor Supply store.

This is coal slag. What is that? "Coal bottom ash and boiler slag are the coarse, granular, incombustible by-products that are collected from the bottom of furnaces that burn coal for the generation of steam, the production of electric power, or both." - https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/research/infrastructure/structures/97148/cbabs1.cfm

This is what it looks like in the bag dry.
IMG_20200805_184409756.jpg
Here is a small sample amount (about 1 cup worth) wet and rinsed
IMG_20200805_184358698.jpg
This is one of the bad things about using this product... weird shaped by-products
IMG_20200805_184318704.jpg

I had seen some complain about an oily film from the product so I rinsed well with HOT water. Some even have suggested cleaning with Dawn dish soap. I didnt go that far but I cleaned well and only noticed the film at the start of the rinse process.

After collecting all the weird shaped things in such a small sample amount, Im not really happy with it for use as a substrate. Also I ran a small magnet through it and a small amount was magnetic which could add iron to the tank which can increase algae growth.

In the end I have decided not to use it as substrate.

Anyone ever use this stuff in their tank? Your thoughts?

clownie

I have used in for about 10-15 years in various tanks...planted, breeding tanks, cichlids, shrimp. Never have had any problems with it at all.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks @clownie for that info.

While the odd shaped pieces where not sharp or dangerous, they just look so unappealing in the substrate. I did go with the medium sized but really wanted the next size up which Tractor Supply does not carry. I might screen the sand to try and get the finer stuff sifted out. Have not given up on it but if I can remove the really fine stuff and some of the odd pieces, I may use it yet.

Betty

Staff member
I've used it -- not positive it was that exact brand though -- it's been many years. I don't remember having any problems with it other than lots of fine scratches in the glass just above and below the sand line. It didn't hurt my digging cichlids and I don't recall any excess algae.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I dont think its available anymore but CaribSea used to have a product called Tahitian Moon which was a black sand. I heard it was Obsidian chips but it went through a recall if I remember correctly for metal contamination. Makes me wonder if that was just coal slag?

I've used it -- not positive it was that exact brand though -- it's been many years. I don't remember having any problems with it other than lots of fine scratches in the glass just above and below the sand line. It didn't hurt my digging cichlids and I don't recall any excess algae.
The slight scratching I get even with my Peace River sand so not overly concerned about that. Thanks for the feedback on it. First time with the product so Im just looking into all aspects before it goes into the tank.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Not liking this enough to use in the aquarium. Will be giving away for free. Please look in the sale section.