Black Brush Algea

neonil

Anyone found any good little fish that will eat black brush algea? Looks like I'm getting a crop coming up.

I want to know too!
Meanwhile, I double dose Seachem's Excel daily to remove it. But it comes back when I quit dosing. As I understand it, the water needs more carbon than what it's getting and I need to correct the water condition which is causing. The people I know that use CO2 don't have the problem, it seems.
Ron

protocl

try using a syringe to target shoot areas not just does the whole tank, plus over-dosing usually does the trick, but depends on what setup and species, of course

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi neonil,

When I am dealing with an outbreak of BBA, I dose Excel (glutaraldehyde). When I change water I do the "standard" Initial Dose per the instructions on the bottle (5ml/10 gallons). For the other days of the week, I dose at 2X the recommendation on the bottle (5ml/25 gallons). This dosing will weaken the BBA. Then I add a Siamese Algae Eater (SAE) (accept no substitutes) to the aquarium and it will eat the weakened BBA. An SAE can't do much combating healthy BBA but it will graze on the weakened algae.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
In my experience. Excel will work.

For fish I've used siamese algae eaters to eat unweakened BBA. Also amano shrimp. At lastly goldfish will eat it too(and maybe your plants)