Betta with cloudy eyes and lethargic behavior

EthanG

Hey All,

Looking for some tips and advise. My male betta has developed white spots on both eyes (one spot on each eye). I noticed this about a week ago, and decided to see what would happen over a couple days. I had to go out of town for a few days, and when I came back there was no change to the white spots, however, his behavior has changed.

He comes up to greet me (usually) and comes for food with no issues. However he has started to show signs of troubles swimming, and is pretty lethargic, and falling down and resting vertically often. 90% of the time he is resting on the bottom or in the plants vertically.

He is in a 20g community tank with a half dozen Neons, a couple of Ottos and a couple of Siamese Algae Eaters.

Any tips? I have never had to medicate my fish before, so I have been fortunate. However that also means I don't really know where to start.

Tested my water and all looks good from an Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate standpoint. However I did just do an (overdue this time) water change, so I am not sure what the levels were before.

Thanks All.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Awww. Poor angel. He doesn't look good.

I'd probably get some General Cure or some EPI Erythromycin and treat the tank. I know that my Betta's act very lethargic sometimes, but when you whip out the chow wagon, they're all HERE I AM!!! Swimming around like a maniac. Your guy don't look very maniac-y. Sorry friend.

Betty

Staff member
I don't know what kind of medication to recommend, but I would definitely increase the frequency of water changes for now, until you start treating. I think good clean water helps!

EthanG

Hi All,

I tested again and Ammonia and Nitrite are at 0, and 0-5ppm of Nitrate. So I went ahead and got some General Cure and Eryth.

I went ahead and dosed both the proper amount this morning for a first dose, and will Continue dosing and doing water changes as reccomended.

What do I need for aeration? I have a 20 long, and have a AC-50 on full flowrate. Do I need anything more?

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Wow. That seems like plenty to me. Did you take the charcoal cartridges out? *if you are using them*

EthanG

Wow. That seems like plenty to me. Did you take the charcoal cartridges out? *if you are using them*
Thanks, I'm not using charcoal (using the extra space for more bio media).

Will keep y'all updated.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

EthanG

Hi All,

Thank you for the recommendations. I have completed the treatment cycle for both the General Cure and the Erythromycin. The Eryth cleared up the tank really well of the BGA I had, but did nothing for my Betta.

Any other ideas? He does eat, however has stopped coming up for food, I just have to make sure his food lands near him. He has become more lethargic.

I have had him for a year and a half at this point, and who knows how old he was when we got him - he was a Walmart rescue and never grew to be much bigger. So, I would imagine he could have been upwards of a year old when we got him anyway. Could it just be his time at (possibly) 2.5 years?

Betty

Staff member
Have you added any new fish recently?

Maybe he is getting close to his time. If you've had him this long and he's been doing well up to this point, you obviously have been taking good care of him.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Have you added any new fish recently?

Maybe he is getting close to his time. If you've had him this long and he's been doing well up to this point, you obviously have been taking good care of him.

How long do Betta's last, Betty?

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Not sure, I think the longest I had one was for about 2 1/2 years, but looking online, it's says 2 up to 5 years.

The reason I asked is that my red/white/blue betta was looking a little whackadoodle yesterday and today, he's a floater. *sigh* Personally, I think all the Sexy Endler activity in that tank wore the poor boy out. My other Betta is great (the one that had the fins knawed on by those shifty pea puffers....). RIP Betta Boy. I should have given you a more creative moniker....

Betty

Staff member
Aww, that's sad. I had a fish die like that recently. I'd had him for over 10 years -- fed him that evening and all was as usual and the next morning he was dead. :(

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Aww, that's sad. I had a fish die like that recently. I'd had him for over 10 years -- fed him that evening and all was as usual and the next morning he was dead. :(

OMG Ten Years??? What kind? Was he/she? I think we need a special "memorial thread" for our special Aquatic Pals when they go onto the Rainbow Tank in the Sky.............

Back when I had Oscars - the 80's - I got VERY attached to them. I couldn't have dogs in the rental house I had and these guys were really like lap dogs. The let me PET them. (They rubbed against my hand in the tank) When I lost the last one, I was pretty devastated. I'm thinking of Cory when he lost "Hank". We've all had it happen...... it should be memorialized somewhere.

EthanG

I should update.

So far no change still. I did try a second round of Gen Cure and EM, with no change.

So, I will just keep an eye out for any additional symptoms of anything beyond old age.

I should say I am grateful for the timing, in 2 months I will be tearing down the tank as my wife and I are moving to Madagascar for a year.

This tank has been a huge learning experience, with Many firsts.

1. Largest tank I've had (I know, 20g isn't much!).
2. First planted tank.
3. First "difficult" fish (2 Scarlet Badis).
4. First "have the funds to do it right" tank.

In a year, will start another. This time bigger, with bigger fish.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

EthanG

Hi All,

Finally an unfortunate update. I believe he had dropsy.

Early this week, he started exhibiting what looked like dropsy. His scales were very raised and he looked worse than ever. Within two days he died.

I could have missed the raised scales before - now that I think about it. Unfortunately I have been working 60-70 hr weeks, so, some things have escaped me. Could be he was exhibiting dropsy the entire time, and I was too focused on other potential issues to notice the raised scales.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Hi @EthanG - first of all, I am super sorry for your loss.

2nd of all - I am super jealous of your Madagascar adventure. I allllllllllmost moved to South Africa in the early 2000's - but it didn't work out. Part of the problem is that I had all these parrots at the time (still have one) and taking them into quarantine for months and months was unacceptable to me. So that was that.

I hope you'll continue to come by and keep us posted on your adventures! I'm serious. Are you going to have a fish tank in Madagascar??