Betta Feeding

julzhull

Glad I'm not the only one with picky fish @VickiK . He did eat some brine shrimp yesterday. He's still in a hospital tank and I'm not feeding him daily anymore so that might have made him a little less picky. I'd still like him to eat some pellets though...especially considering I just bought a new container of them.

julzhull

Tried feeding him 3 different types of pellets last night. I think he ate some brine shrimp on Sunday. Not entirely sure since sometimes he spits out a bit of what he's eaten. But he spit out all the pellets he tried. Sigh. I think he's going to fast for a week and I'll try again. What a stinker.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
That food reduction program -- Let's call it Betta Weight Watchers - that Gizmo suggested seems to be the best way to go. I just have a LOT of fish in there with Betta Boy - so he scores anyway. And a dwarf frog too. NEITHER of which touches the Endler Fry. They swim right in front of both of them; nothing happens. Well, not always. Sometimes, the frog waves his claw by his face like he smells a fart or like he's annoyed by the interruption.

julzhull

I'll have to try Betta Weight Watchers this week. Which means next Monday I can feed him. :eek: He just eats everything and after his bout of what I think was constipation (he was lethargic, big tummy and his scales started puffing up) I don't want to risk that again.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I'll have to try Betta Weight Watchers this week. Which means next Monday I can feed him. :eek: He just eats everything and after his bout of what I think was constipation (he was lethargic, big tummy and his scales started puffing up) I don't want to risk that again.

Awwww. I know how hard it is to NOT feed something. There was an orange cat with a sneaky face hanging out at my place for awhile. I named him "The Donald". I finally posted on Nextdoor.com about The Donald and my desire to trap him (after worming him and feeding him for three weeks) and turn him over to the Cat Coalition. They'll find a nice home for him, right?

Suddenly, I've not SEEN hide nor hair of The Donald. I guess his Pet Parents saw my post.

(FYI - I know who his pet parents are and I was guilting them into taking care of their own damn cat)

julzhull

Awwww. I know how hard it is to NOT feed something. There was an orange cat with a sneaky face hanging out at my place for awhile. I named him "The Donald". I finally posted on Nextdoor.com about The Donald and my desire to trap him (after worming him and feeding him for three weeks) and turn him over to the Cat Coalition. They'll find a nice home for him, right?

Suddenly, I've not SEEN hide nor hair of The Donald. I guess his Pet Parents saw my post.

(FYI - I know who his pet parents are and I was guilting them into taking care of their own damn cat)
I have a cat like that who has hung out around our place for the past few years. Maybe I should make a post on Nextdoor.com too. Although, I truly think he just wanders the neighborhood and doesn't have a home. He just seems to be content with it. One one hand I feel bad that he's out there alone and on the other hand I'm not sure he'd be happy if I take him to PAWS.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I have a cat like that who has hung out around our place for the past few years. Maybe I should make a post on Nextdoor.com too. Although, I truly think he just wanders the neighborhood and doesn't have a home. He just seems to be content with it. One one hand I feel bad that he's out there alone and on the other hand I'm not sure he'd be happy if I take him to PAWS.

Yeah. That's the struggle right? For cats that are "in tact", having kittens year after miserable year isn't fun so I take them in. They get spade / neutered and if they're feral, they let em lose again. If they're willing to be a housecat, they get a home.

julzhull

Yeah. That's the struggle right? For cats that are "in tact", having kittens year after miserable year isn't fun so I take them in. They get spade / neutered and if they're feral, they let em lose again. If they're willing to be a housecat, they get a home.
I'm 95% sure this one is a neutered male. He's pretty friendly with me but I'm just not sure he'd be happy to be shut in a house at this point.

julzhull

Sigh. One week later and he won't eat pellets. Still. Three different types of pellets. Not sure if they can exist only on brine shrimp? I'm hoping he'll even eat that. I guess I'll see tomorrow. What a stinker.

Betty

Staff member
Have you tried pre-soaking the pellets in a little water to soften them up? Or grind or crush to a smaller size if the pellet is too large?
Maybe pre-soaking in brine shrimp flavored water. :D

julzhull

Have you tried pre-soaking the pellets in a little water to soften them up? Or grind or crush to a smaller size if the pellet is too large?
Maybe pre-soaking in brine shrimp flavored water. :D
Yep, I let it soak in the tank while I was trying two other smaller pellets. Even tried an itty bitty pellets for small mouthed fish. He just takes them in and spits them out. Then swims along the bottom and does it with what he has spit out.

I do see that the frozen brine shrimp are gut loaded with good nutrition so maybe he can just live on that?

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Yep, I let it soak in the tank while I was trying two other smaller pellets. Even tried an itty bitty pellets for small mouthed fish. He just takes them in and spits them out. Then swims along the bottom and does it with what he has spit out.

I do see that the frozen brine shrimp are gut loaded with good nutrition so maybe he can just live on that?

How's it going?

Romeo - in the 20L - shuns regular food even tho I serve what I call "Salad Bar" and then an hour later, bring "the main course" which is frozen bloodworms cut into teeny tiny chunks. I got a whole GIANT tub of that Repashy that no one will eat. You want it? You could try that on him??

julzhull

How's it going?

Romeo - in the 20L - shuns regular food even tho I serve what I call "Salad Bar" and then an hour later, bring "the main course" which is frozen bloodworms cut into teeny tiny chunks. I got a whole GIANT tub of that Repashy that no one will eat. You want it? You could try that on him??
He's getting his brine shrimp every other day. I still need to make up some repashy for him. What repashy do you have? It's hard to believe that no one will eat it!

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
He's getting his brine shrimp every other day. I still need to make up some repashy for him. What repashy do you have? It's hard to believe that no one will eat it!

I have a GIANT tub of "community plus" that I've barely used.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say

I will try them all on it ONE MORE TIME and if it fails - like it has in the past - its all yours if you want it. I can leave on the patio and you can pick it up whenever you're driving by. :)

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I know for a fact the new guys would eat that. They used to peck at our Repashy all the time. But I'd be glad to take it if they refuse it ;)

Again, stand by. I'm going to give them ONE MORE OPP for deliciousness - and if they screw the pooch, it's all yours. I'll put it on the patio table for pick up whenEVER. I'll let you know how it goes....lol

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Again, stand by. I'm going to give them ONE MORE OPP for deliciousness - and if they screw the pooch, it's all yours. I'll put it on the patio table for pick up whenEVER. I'll let you know how it goes....lol

i will do this, this weekend. I promise. Week got away from me! Sorry my friend!