Betta Feeding

julzhull

I bought a crowntail betta from Aquarium Co-Op last weekend that I fell in love with. He's a cranky guy and loves to look at his reflection on one side of the tank and flare. I'm thinking of naming him Narcissus, Narci for short.

Anyway, He loves blood worms but I haven't gotten him to eat much else except for pecking at the pellets I put in for the hasbrosus corydoras. What does everyone else feed their bettas? I worry that he's going to get blocked up from all the blood worms.

betta.jpg

julzhull

I'm glad he went home with you, this one was a total character. If a fish could yell "Get off of my lawn!" It would be him.

Enjoy Narcissisus!
I've never seen a betta flare so much! And not just the sides but all the way around. He even flared at the Buddha. Some bad Karma there for him. Keeps me entertained at least.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Anyway, He loves blood worms but I haven't gotten him to eat much else except for pecking at the pellets I put in for the hasbrosus corydoras. What does everyone else feed their bettas? I worry that he's going to get blocked up from all the blood worms.

He is gorgeous!

My Betta Boy (also from The Co-Op) likes bloodworms, Tetra granules and, not so oddly enough, that fry food that comes in the squeeze bottle from the Co-Op. In fact, everyone likes that teeny tiny fry food.

julzhull

He is gorgeous!

My Betta Boy (also from The Co-Op) likes bloodworms, Tetra granules and, not so oddly enough, that fry food that comes in the squeeze bottle from the Co-Op. In fact, everyone likes that teeny tiny fry food.
I just ordered some of that fry food! I have some guppy fry that are sure to enjoy it. I'm still trying other foods with Narci. He doesn't seem to like frozen brine shrimp. He does like to peck at the pellets that I put in for the hasbrosus corydoras but I don't know how much of it he eats. He pecks and spits. I also ordered some omnivore pellets so maybe he'll like those. I just want him to have a well rounded diet.

FishBeast

Beautiful fish! Bettas will eat anything, although they are preferential carnivores. Commercial bloodworms appear to be vitamin enriched so that should be ok along with a floating or slow sinking pellet. I feed our Betta ground up tilapia bits, brine shrimp and crumbled carnivore pellets. Feed only 1-2x a week for best health!

Reef&LivebearerAquatic

Beautiful fish! Bettas will eat anything, although they are preferential carnivores. Commercial bloodworms appear to be vitamin enriched so that should be ok along with a floating or slow sinking pellet. I feed our Betta ground up tilapia bits, brine shrimp and crumbled carnivore pellets. Feed only 1-2x a week for best health!
Funny my betta refused to eat New Life Spectrum pellets for 2 weeks, switched some junk flakes ad he loves them. he is such a fatty >.< now he ats anything though.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Feed only 1-2x a week for best health!

Wow! I'm going to dial it back big time. You and @Gizmo have inspired me. I'm raising a fat little tiny colorful heart attack waiting to happen.

Mine is in with a bunch of endlers and fry and one of those Dwarf Frogs. I don't think they make tiny "Silence of the Lamb masks for dieting Bettas....

julzhull

I don't think they make tiny "Silence of the Lamb masks for dieting Bettas....

OMG. That's the best sentence ever. I really need to see a photoshopped betta with a Silence of the Lamb mask.

The tank that my betta is in I'm hoping to do shrimp in. I'm not sure if he's going to let them live. I'm going to need to start with some cheap shrimp. He's constantly on the lookout for food. I'm trying for an every other day feeding but he's still going after my bottom feeder food.

FishBeast

Wow! I'm going to dial it back big time. You and @Gizmo have inspired me. I'm raising a fat little tiny colorful heart attack waiting to happen.

Mine is in with a bunch of endlers and fry and one of those Dwarf Frogs. I don't think they make tiny "Silence of the Lamb masks for dieting Bettas....

"I ate the brine shrimp with a nice Chianti." :lol

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
@julzhull & @FishBeast You Crazy.

My daughter is a fancy designer and photographer. If anyone can make that happen, it's me. lol I'll get to work on that when I'm not stressing out over TDS readings......

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
The tank that my betta is in I'm hoping to do shrimp in. I'm not sure if he's going to let them live. I'm going to need to start with some cheap shrimp. He's constantly on the lookout for food. I'm trying for an every other day feeding but he's still going after my bottom feeder food.

I know, right? Someone needs to write a book called "How to Feed Your Betta Without He/She Exploding"

julzhull

So, back to this. My betta would only eat blood worms and pick at the food I put in for my hasbrosus corydoras. A couple of weeks ago he ended up becoming lethargic and bloated and his scales were puffed up. I thought it was dropsy but now I'm thinking he was constipated which caused swim bladder problems.

Now he's back to normal but won't eat the new pellets I bought him. I really want him off of blood worms. Ugh, what a picky eater, not sure what to do with him. I think he has to go in a tank by himself so I can control his piggy eating but I'm not sure what to feed him.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
So, back to this. My betta would only eat blood worms and pick at the food I put in for my hasbrosus corydoras. A couple of weeks ago he ended up becoming lethargic and bloated and his scales were puffed up. I thought it was dropsy but now I'm thinking he was constipated which caused swim bladder problems.

Now he's back to normal but won't eat the new pellets I bought him. I really want him off of blood worms. Ugh, what a picky eater, not sure what to do with him. I think he has to go in a tank by himself so I can control his piggy eating but I'm not sure what to feed him.

Yanno - Romeo (the new Betta from The Co-Op) is a similar story. He thumbs his fin at the flakes, the pellets and the Tetra Fin "slices" (don't know what else to call them). Bloodworms is always FIRST on his menu. I break up feeding too. I put in the "salad bar" (I call it) in all the tanks before I get ready for work and then right before I leave, everyone gets their "meats".

Other Fin Thumbers:
(and I quote)
African Leaf Fish - "FLAKES? F Your Flakes, Lady!"
Koi Angels - "We're pigs. We'll eat both, thankyouverymuch."
Sean "Puffy" Amazon Combs - "Snails? Screw you. Bring on the blood (worms) baby"
Balloon Cichilds - "No salad for us, thanks. We're on the paleo diet...".

FishBeast

Yanno - Romeo (the new Betta from The Co-Op) is a similar story. He thumbs his fin at the flakes, the pellets and the Tetra Fin "slices" (don't know what else to call them). Bloodworms is always FIRST on his menu. I break up feeding too. I put in the "salad bar" (I call it) in all the tanks before I get ready for work and then right before I leave, everyone gets their "meats".

Other Fin Thumbers:
(and I quote)
African Leaf Fish - "FLAKES? F Your Flakes, Lady!"
Koi Angels - "We're pigs. We'll eat both, thankyouverymuch."
Sean "Puffy" Amazon Combs - "Snails? Screw you. Bring on the blood (worms) baby"
Balloon Cichilds - "No salad for us, thanks. We're on the paleo diet...".
Hahaha!! :lol looks like it'll become a battle of wills! try not feeding for a week and see what's what then.