Betta dying suddenly

I have a 5 gallon planted tank with a betta and shrimp and I just came home to him laying on the bottom with all my shrimp picking at him. He's not quite dead but he doesn't look good. It's not my levels, because that would effect the shrimp first, not my betta.
He was perfectly fine yesterday. He's been eating. I don't know what to do.

Well he died. He looked completely normal, he just wouldn't move and he was breathing very shallowly. The shrimp and 6 exclamation point rasboras I have in the tank are still fine. The nitrogenous waste is still insignificant.
I have no clue why he died.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Sorry to hear this.

Other folks don't understand how attached we get to these little finned creatures....QQ but we sure do.

Ok, went down to my lfs today because the 6 exclamation point rasboras I had in the tank also started dying. I had them test the water and they got the same results I did, everything was good. So I started talking with the owner about what might have gone wrong and at first he suggested the usual suspects. Overfeeding, ammonia spikes, things like that. But I think we got to the real culprit. A few weeks ago I turned the filter output from pointing up at the surface to down at the bottom to try to get rid of some brown hair algae. That meant that there was very little surface agitation, if any at all. With all my plants and fish in there releasing CO2 all night, I gassed my fish. CO2 poisoning
So I'm very, very sad that my betta died, but lesson learned. And on a happier note, my shrimp have all survived.

That sucks, I would also think very unusual with bettas, because they breathe from the surface (Mostly) Either way he was a beautiful fish, I'm sorry :( RIP
Breathing from the surface allows them to utilize that air, but they are still swimming in the water. If CO2 is too high it will poison them.
I just wish I'd have known what it was. There's a chance I could have saved him

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Breathing from the surface allows them to utilize that air, but they are still swimming in the water. If CO2 is too high it will poison them.

Oh man. I didn't know you could do that!!

FishBeast

My friend, please don't blame yourself for his death... Trust me. It wasn't your fault.

Without going into gas diffusion across membranes, partial pressures of dissolved gases and also the fact that these stagnant and muddy streams are Bettas' natural habitats, I can assure you that you DID NOT gas your fish with CO2. The only way to really do that is to inject pressurized CO2 into a system. Even completely stagnant water (see the photos, where Bettas have been collected), can sustain labyrinth fish quite comfortably.

If your CO2 was too high, your shrimp would have died way earlier. Also as CO2 would turn into carbonic acid when dissolved in water, your pH would drop and you would have seen that in your testing. There was another reason for this tragedy, and it was not something of your doing...

Not being a smart@$$, I just don't want you to beat yourself up over his death...

May your fish rest in peace, brother.

pugnaxstreamscollage.jpg

My friend, please don't blame yourself for his death... Trust me. It wasn't your fault.

Without going into gas diffusion across membranes, partial pressures of dissolved gases and also the fact that these stagnant and muddy streams are Bettas' natural habitats, I can assure you that you DID NOT gas your fish with CO2. The only way to really do that is to inject pressurized CO2 into a system. Even completely stagnant water (see the photos, where Bettas have been collected), can sustain labyrinth fish quite comfortably.

If your CO2 was too high, your shrimp would have died way earlier. Also as CO2 would turn into carbonic acid when dissolved in water, your pH would drop and you would have seen that in your testing. There was another reason for this tragedy, and it was not something of your doing...

Not being a smart@$$, I just don't want you to beat yourself up over his death...

May your fish rest in peace, brother.

pugnaxstreamscollage.jpg
Now that you mention it, you're right. That would have created a drastic drop in pH, I forgot about that. Well that just raises further questions! 2 of my shrimp have died since my last post too, but I still don't know why. My parameters are still perfect. I don't know what to do :(

FishBeast

Now that you mention it, you're right. That would have created a drastic drop in pH, I forgot about that. Well that just raises further questions! 2 of my shrimp have died since my last post too, but I still don't know why. My parameters are still perfect. I don't know what to do :(

Oh no! Sorry to hear that. If the water conditions are good, then at this point I would start thinking along the lines of disease outbreak.

Did you preserve the Betta's carcass? Maybe a close examination will reveal clues.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say

Hey, I stuck an airstone in my Endler and Betta tank right after reading this post.

Hey, I stuck an airstone in my Endler and Betta tank right after reading this post.
I don't think that's necessary. Beast is right, you have to really try hard in order to gas your fish. It is possible, especially in planted tanks with high CO2 dosing because plants start releasing CO2 at night when they rely solely on cellular respiration, but in most tanks that won't happen.

As for the disease outbreak, it's possible. But I've never heard of a fish disease that shows no symptoms and then kills a fish overnight. Nor one that infects fish and shrimp. And I didn't preserve the body for diagnosis.
If it is a disease, it's a nasty one.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I don't think that's necessary. Beast is right, you have to really try hard in order to gas your fish. It is possible, especially in planted tanks with high CO2 dosing because plants start releasing CO2 at night when they rely solely on cellular respiration, but in most tanks that won't happen.

I'm being safe than sorry. This is a little 10 gallon (I think) Red Aqueon Bowfront that's been running continuously since 2006. It's a JUNGLE -- I mean, seriously a Jungle - and the endlers are breeding like crazy. (Yay crushed coral!)

I need to find a grow out tank for these guys. I'm anxious to see how they look when mature. They're blue silverados from Aquarium Co-Op (females - all my males croaked) and the new males for all this fry are bright yellow with lots of spots. (I don't know what they're name is) I think Petsmart called them Cobra Endlers ?

Anyway - it's a good piece of information to know that this gassing thing is possible -- no matter how rare it might be.

Ali

I killed off most of a tank by suffocation, it's not impossible. (Tank was neglected and evaporated to the point canister filter output was splashing a lot. Meanwhile my juvie geophagus had grown a lot. Water change and refill to the topbefore bed. Bodies all over in the morning. Water parameters were fine. Necropsies showed no obvious disease. And once Iadded an airstone the deaths stopped.) I do however think it would be next to impossible to do that to a betta. If every single fish *but* mr betta died i would suspect O2 depletion.

Sorry for your loss :(

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I killed off most of a tank by suffocation, it's not impossible. (Tank was neglected and evaporated to the point canister filter output was splashing a lot. Meanwhile my juvie geophagus had grown a lot. Water change and refill to the topbefore bed. Bodies all over in the morning. Water parameters were fine. Necropsies showed no obvious disease. And once Iadded an airstone the deaths stopped.) I do however think it would be next to impossible to do that to a betta. If every single fish *but* mr betta died i would suspect O2 depletion.

Sorry for your loss :(

Interesting!
A very good reason for NOT neglecting your tanks!