Best FW aquarium large invertebrate?

pbmax

Re: Best FW aquarium large invertebrate?

Yup - they'll perch as close as they can get to the current. I would dump some powdered food directly into the critter's fans when I had mine so I was sure it was getting something to eat.

pbmax

The taxonomic family, Cambaridae, that includes all north-american crayfish (and most everything being sold as a freshwater "lobster"), is banned for possession, transport, purchase, sale, you name it in WA. This is because idiot fishermen were using Procambarus Clarkii as bait and they escaped and became established in various waterways. They grow far faster than the only native crayfish and thus easily out-compete them.

Our lawmakers, in their INFINITE wisdom, decided to solve the problem with a blanket ban. They win, we lose, and p. clarkii are still living in local waterways. The upside is that you can catch as many wild clarkii as you like, as long as you kill them, I believe.

Bamboo Shrimp are meh... once you've seen the Blue Wood Shrimp. Those look a lot more like lobsters/crayfish. Unfortunately, like Madness and pbmax have stated, lobsters and crayfish are illegal here in Washington.

Blue Wood Shrimp and Vampire Shrimp, however...are legal in the state of Washington!

Think of them as, if a lobster/crayfish and bamboo shrimp got together, and presto... Blue Wood Shrimp. They look amazing. Kinda has the body of a crawfish/lobster, but lacks the pinchers... and instead has the fan-like appendages of the bamboo shrimp. The largest one I've seen was at Aquarium Co-Op, and it was like 3-4" long... they're amazing. I regret not getting one. LOL.

There's also the Vampire Shrimp, which also has a similar body structure to the Blue Wood Shrimp.

Atyagabonensis1_zps623a590e.jpg

(Blue Wood Shrimp) - note: you can't see the fans in this picture, but they do also have the fan-like appendages.

gabonensis.jpg

(Vampire Shrimp)

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

Oh! I like those blue wood shrimp! Awesome PokeSepiroth, thanks I'm definitely looking into these more!

Personally, I like Bamboo shrimp better. Under the right light and with good food, they turn a lovely reddish color, they look just like bacon!

The Vampire shrimp are cool but seem to really really skittish, always hiding.

pbmax

Most inverts and many fish derive their coloration from their background. Put them in the right situation (planted, lots of hides) with a dark substrate and I bet they'll color up very well. This was the case for my bamboo shrimp - a beautiful red as bronzefighter said with a big white stripe down its back.