Balloon Mollies

ziggyzoo

So0o0o...Balloon mollies..anyone keep them? When I first got into the hobby I LOVED them, but they never seem to stay alive very long. I have heard some people refuse to buy them because they are breed " disfigured" in a way that they just arent a healthy/happy fish. I assume this is why they only stores they are seen at are petco and petsmart. So I'm just curious, what are everyones experiences with them, if any?

MorganEA

All their organs are the same size as a normal Molly but because they have been breed to be short and fat everything kind of gets squished which leads to problems. My first tank was filled with ballon mollies but none of them lasted very long so I switched to platys and had better luck.

ziggyzoo

MorganEA said:
All their organs are the same size as a normal Molly but because they have been breed to be short and fat everything kind of gets squished which leads to problems. My first tank was filled with ballon mollies but none of them lasted very long so I switched to platys and had better luck.

Well that makes me feel better, that its not just me. Also good to know, so i dont get them in the future. Thanks