Back to wild already!

17mars

I combined all of my neocaridina colours in one "skittles" tank a month ago and I already have "wilds." Except... I don't think they've been in there long enough for this to be a result of the mixing. Pretty sure the little brown shrimp on the left was the product of a berried blue I put in there. The eggs she was carrying looked gray and I thought they were fungus-ed and she would drop them. Now I'm pretty sure my "pure" blue dropped a load of wilds before being exposed to shrimp of another colour. The blue baby on the right is clearly much younger.
Doesn't matter though. I like them anyway.InkedIMG_20170521_134533618_LI.jpg

julzhull

I'm not convinced that combining colors turns them all brown eventually. LR Bretz says he's trying to fix that common misconception (this was my concern when I was interested in his Skrittle Mix). If I get any browns I might put them in a "baby tank" that I have with guppies and plecos before they can start breeding with my colors.

I want blue babies so bad! I think I have at least a dozen red babies.

17mars

That's what I'm going to do to, I think - move the browns to my heavily planted 55 gallon where I would never see any shrimp anyway. They could be happily invisible in there.

Mike16T

I combined all of my neocaridina colours in one "skittles" tank a month ago and I already have "wilds." Except... I don't think they've been in there long enough for this to be a result of the mixing. Pretty sure the little brown shrimp on the left was the product of a berried blue I put in there. The eggs she was carrying looked gray and I thought they were fungus-ed and she would drop them. Now I'm pretty sure my "pure" blue dropped a load of wilds before being exposed to shrimp of another colour. The blue baby on the right is clearly much younger.
Doesn't matter though. I like them anyway.View attachment 4022

Congrats on babies!!! ^_^

17mars

I see different colours in the saddles on mine. Most are green. Some are blue. Some are reddish brown and some dark grey. Three wild females are now berried. Two have dull coloured "berries" but one is definitely berried blue.
This is fun, isn't it?
I finally got a couple orange and red babies out of my orange and reds, btw. I was envying you those reds! The orange babies came out very pale but the reds are okay.

julzhull

I see different colours in the saddles on mine. Most are green. Some are blue. Some are reddish brown and some dark grey. Three wild females are now berried. Two have dull coloured "berries" but one is definitely berried blue.
This is fun, isn't it?
I finally got a couple orange and red babies out of my orange and reds, btw. I was envying you those reds! The orange babies came out very pale but the reds are okay.
Those oranges could still darken up. I've got SO MANY reds! I might need to spread a few to another tank at some point. Although, this tank still has room because there are times where it looks sparse (aka when no food is out).

17mars

What size tank is it again?
Mine is a 29 for shrimp and a couple cories only. (and five thousand snails.)