Back to the Basics....

discus_2013

guys, through the years I have kind of done it all as far as the aquarium hobby goes, from the beginner fish to advanced, I just got bored with it all, stressing about breeding and aggression and this and that, I found that the more success I had with different fish the less I enjoyed it, which ended in me giving away pretty much all my fish and selling off about 1000g of aquariums, and I went back to the Basics, one 100g tank filled with swordtail and rainbows,platties, guppies, and an assortment of plecos I couldn't give up... but here is the problem I have been away from community tanks for so long I don't know what I can get for that "rare" never really see it community fish center piece, I am now on the hunt for it, any ideas would be great, I have already ruled out discus,angels,rams, and apistos I want to stay in the 78-80 temp range.

discus_2013

full stock is Montezuma sword trio, 4 red wag platties, 7 rainbows (don't know which type off the top of my head), dumbo ear guppies 4, 11 zebra danio, 2 blue phantom plecos, 1 vampire pleco, 2 bristle nose plecos.

some I know I still want 10 ish marbled hatchet, another two swordtail trios.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
full stock is Montezuma sword trio, 4 red wag platties, 7 rainbows (don't know which type off the top of my head), dumbo ear guppies 4, 11 zebra danio, 2 blue phantom plecos, 1 vampire pleco, 2 bristle nose plecos.

some I know I still want 10 ish marbled hatchet, another two swordtail trios.

That actually sounds like a lot of fun. I remember (many) years ago how exciting it was when my Dad brought home our first wagtail platies, swordtails, and various tetras, and I've sometimes thought that a 'nostalgia tank' like that would be really cool. Would kinda make you want to sit in front of the tank with an old copy of The Aquarium magazine (from the 30's or 40's; I have a small collection of these) and remember how it used to be. Good luck, and keep us posted.

clownie

That actually sounds like a lot of fun. I remember (many) years ago how exciting it was when my Dad brought home our first wagtail platies, swordtails, and various tetras, and I've sometimes thought that a 'nostalgia tank' like that would be really cool. Would kinda make you want to sit in front of the tank with an old copy of The Aquarium magazine (from the 30's or 40's; I have a small collection of these) and remember how it used to be. Good luck, and keep us posted.
You are dating yourself Keith!:):)

sir_keith

Legendary Member
You are dating yourself Keith!:):)
Yeah, I know. When I started in the hobby there was no such thing as an 'all-glass aquarium;' all the tanks had stainless steel frames. I had a stainless 29 with a full stainless hood (my first 'big' tank), and it was really beautiful. I wish I still had it; it would make an awesome 'nostalgia tank.'

Actually, I think the most beautiful fish room I've ever seen belonged to an ACA friend in New Haven, years ago. He was big into dwarf cichlids, and had a finished basement that was chock full of stainless steel tanks, mostly small ones, heavily planted (incandescent lights!) and containing an amazing collection of Apisto's. Quite different from my current fish room, which is dominated by acrylic and all-glass tanks of 100+ gallons. :oops::oops:

discus_2013

we used to get in trouble as kids and we would come home and find the t.v. gone, replaced with an aquarium, the aquarium would last a month or two and the t.v. would come back, but this was my intro to the aquarium world, bright blue gravel , plastic plants, undergravel filters, and guppies... I always joke with my parents that my fish addiction is their fault because it was my main source of entertainment on rainy days after they removed the tv.

Betty

Staff member
My first tank was a full stainless as well. Guppies, platies and swordtails all crammed into a 10 gallon with plants and somehow everything lived and reproduced.

A 100 gallon has so many possibilities. I don't know what a good centerpiece fish would be, but I think a large group of a species that schools would look awesome in a tank that size.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
A 100 gallon has so many possibilities. I don't know what a good centerpiece fish would be, but I think a large group of a species that schools would look awesome in a tank that size.

I was thinking the same thing: couldn't think of a single fish that would serve as a centerpiece, but maybe a nice school of something interesting? How about glass fish (not the dye-injected kind)? Even better, threadfin glass fish, if you can find them. Or a school of 50 or so cardinals? Hard to argue with the wow factor of that. There are also some really nice rasboras that school, although these can be hard to find, especially if you are looking for a lot of them.

discus_2013

I like the big cardinal school idea... that may do it, I got some dwarf honey gourami x4, and a couple Borneo hill stream loaches, and a new trio of swords, I have babies all over the tank now so I will let it settle out and then maybe start the cardinals up. i will put up some pics later as well, it is a low light planted system as well.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I'd get a GIANT gob of rummy nose tetras. I love those guys. I got a dozen or so in the 55 and they never fail to capture my attention.

discus_2013

update, my dwarf lily flowered, babies all over the tank, upgrading lighting and adding co2 next. also added 2 royal farowella, and currently trying to get my honey gouramis to spawn.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Sometimes we forget how beautiful the 'basics' can be. Your setup looks awesome! :):):)

discus_2013

Indeed, thank you, my son has the fighter fish and a vampire pleco so he is more involved, and my wife sits and looks for new "babies" with me, it has really help bring them into it more, which makes it a lot funner for me.