Back in the game with a free acrylic tank and sump

anderson_p_r

Howdy folks. Been gone a while. Had a busy year; daughter is almost a year old, bought our first house this summer; and we've now had our business open 5 years.

Anyways, I scored a free acrylic tank and sump on CL the other day, might be what drags me back into the hobby, besides regular maintenance, this winter. What's trowing me for a loop though is the over flow. It's very low in the tank. I'm guessing about half the tank height? Wondering if anyone knows why you'd set a tank up this way or if there are particualr species it may have been intended to keep? The tank looks to be about 29 gallon.

A

Anonymous

Oh. That's an interesting set up.

You are one of my favorite DYI guys. Welcome back!

anthony

My first thought was turtle also. 1/2 full tank plus the sump looks as big as the tank. I never had a turtle but they have to messy.

anderson_p_r

I like the paludarium idea. I'm thinking of talking with my local pet store about doing a joint project. I really don't have the time to maintain another tank, but I do enjoy setting them up. Might see if I do all the main work if they'd like to have it as a display tank. All it really needs is a pump and a light. Maybe I'll just fix it up and sell it? I think it'd be cool to rig it with land on the right and set the return up as a waterfall/stream to the "lagoon" on the left. Could look really neat.

anderson_p_r

Well, reality is setting in and I honestly don't think I'll have the time for this thing. The sump has already been given to someone but if anyone is interested in this tank you're more than welcome to pick it up in Olympia, free. PM for more info. If no one here wants it I'll make a proper marketplace ad in a day or two.