At what point to euthanize?

julzhull

I have a black angel fish we've had quarantined for nearly 3 months. It started out where he wasn't eating. Then I noticed white stringy poo. We tested him for internal parasites. He became interested in food a bit again but wouldn't eat a lot. Then stopped eating entirely. We've tried melafix and the internal parasite meds again but nothing helps. His poo is still kind of white on the rare chance he has any but he hasn't been eating so no surprise. He's getting fairly thin and just listly hangs out in a corner.

Any other ideas? I'd hate to euthanize but I hate that he's wasting away.

Reactions: Dmf

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
He's dying, but slowly. The humane thing to do at this point would be to euthanize him, in my opinion. Sucks, I know, but you've done all you can.

Reactions: Dmf

Dmf

sorry, your fish is not doing well I have had to euthanize one of my fish before. There are a few methods Clove oil or the freezer. I wish you luck. But if he has lasted for 3 months you are doing something right to keep him going

sir_keith

Legendary Member
But if he has lasted for 3 months you are doing something right to keep him going

I disagree. The fact that this fish has lasted for 3 months- yet continues to deteriorate despite all remedial efforts- speaks only to the fact that systemic failure is a slow, painful process. Best to stop the pain.

julzhull

We used clove oil and euthanized yesterday. I hadn't seen him eat for such a long time and he was wasting away and losing some of his black color. I hated having to make the call but I think I made the right one, my only regret is that we probably should have done it sooner.

Dmf

I believe you put 110% into trying to save him, I would have done the same regardless of how others feel. Kinda like my fish are my pets, when I told someone I didn't want to put a female in and have her get killed he said it was the nature of the fish. well, we have hearts, we love our fish and will do anything to keep them alive. I am glad you finally made the decision to let go, but you did all you could. More then what most would do, and for that I am proud of you :)

sir_keith

Legendary Member
We used clove oil and euthanized yesterday. I hadn't seen him eat for such a long time and he was wasting away and losing some of his black color. I hated having to make the call but I think I made the right one, my only regret is that we probably should have done it sooner.
I feel for you. No one likes to lose fish, and having to euthanize one of your little friends is always tough. That said, I think you made the right choice, and it is simply a fact of life that if you are going to keep fishes, sometimes you will lose them.