Aro trouble

Came home yesterday to find my arowana laying on its side at the bottom of the tank, seemed to head stand and want to rest his upper body on the ground, while his tail points straight up. He also is showing no interest in live food . Water chemistry is good, temp is normal, and other fish are leaving him alone. Any ideas anyone this behavior seems very off to me . I think it might be an internal issue.

Bassman42

IOM it could be a couple of things but i need more info on your setup. Could any of your other fish chased it? And it ran it into the wall or tryed to jump out? Do you feed anything that could give it IPs? What do you feed it? What kind of Arowana is it? How big is our tank? How big is the fish? What lives with it? These variables may be the key to help you and your fishsues.

hbluehunter

I hate to say it but I think you aro is gone or will be soon.. I had that happen with 2 of my big silvers when we had a power outrage and they never made it after the head standing.. But mine was due to water quality after my filters weren't working for over 2 days.. He might have jumped and hit the top of the tank, or an into the side if chased..

protocl

I've read about this kind of behavior on many different forums.
Ultimately the aro is not going to pull through.

May be it's just the general health of the aro that is fading, not how it's being treated.

he is housed with two serevums who are pretty peaceful , and a featherfin cat. he may have ran in to the top of the tank or the sides, hes jumped out once before so i cant rule that out, he is a silver aro, in a 125gal, and is maybe 14-17 inches. he usually eats just cichlid pellets, and krill, some times peas. my filtration is (2) xp3s and an ac 100. recently tried to feed him some baby convicts i raised my self , wich he occasionally eats.... i will be just watching the water peramiters and doing some water changes and watching what happens. hopeing for the best.

hbluehunter

Well it looks like it could have been anything that did your aro in, Could have been a convict went down the wrong way and he got stuck.. Either way i hope he pulls through, maybe boost the temp up and add some salt and hope he pulls through.

alright, i dont know what to make off this guy anymor. i thought he was a goner after seeing him head stand and spiral around in the tank. After doing a larger water change last night and ticking the temp up 2 points. He is swimming normal at the top of the tank activly eating dry food when i got home from work today. no longer resting on the bottom. And no strange body position. weird weird weird. i'll post if his condition changes.. thank you everyone for your good thoughts and comments

A

Anonymous

thats what im hoping, and hoping he retains that info for next time if thats the case...maybe i need to check my walls for spiders ...

sandnuka

you said water parameters were good right? where were your nitrates, nitrites, cause a water change obviously can dastrically change that and they are pretty fagile when i comes to nitrate Ive read.

protocl

Glad to read the aro is doing good and going againest what I've read in the past.

Take care of that aro.