Aqueon 125 Aquarium Ensemble.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
Hey All-

I've been toying with the idea of setting up a 6-foot show tank in my study for a while, and today while picking up some frozen food at PetSmart I saw a 125-gallon Aqueon ensemble that looked pretty nice, here-

https://www.petsmart.com/fish/tanks...-led-aquarium-ensemble-40582.html?cgid=300207

Nothing fancy- a glass tank with lids, three simple LED light fixtures that would need to be upgraded, and a decent looking stand. Retails for $700, but with 15% off for in-store pickup, the total (before taxes) would be $595. Not a bad deal. So my question is- does anyone here have any experience with these Aqueon ensembles in general, or with this 125 setup in particular? My sense is that these are decent products at good prices, but I'm just not sure. And the tank would be going into a room with hardwood floors, so I don't even want to think about leak issues.

Truth be told, for a show tank I'd prefer acrylic, but that's a lot more cash. Thanks in advance.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
That is a nice set up! You really cant go wrong with a brand new tank and stand. Usually you are dealing with a warranty against leaks because it is new and on their stand.

FishBeast

Most of my tanks are Aqueon. No issues. Some construction can be iffy so make sure the glass edges are reasonably flush and the braces are reasonably straight and level. I have had issues with their pine stand. Bad tolerances and in my opinion, poor construction quality for the money. That is a great price for a full set!

sir_keith

Legendary Member

sir_keith

Legendary Member

Went to PetSmart in Silverdale today, and the 125 setup was back to full price- $699. Then this evening, it was reduced online to $525. Then they posted a 15%-off deal for in-store pickup, bringing the price down to $446. Too good to resist, so I pulled the trigger, and it is ready to be picked up tomorrow. Now I just need to find someone with a truck...

Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 5.41.58 PM.png

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Great deal! Cant wait for the pics of it set up...

sir_keith

Legendary Member

Me too. I'm thinking of setting it up for Featherfins and Xenotilapia, which would allow for plants as well if I can find some Vallisneria, which tolerates the hard water. First order of business is to find some cannister filters; trying to decide between one big one or two smaller ones. Any suggestions?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Im into over filtering and big filters so my suggestions all would be that way, lol.

On my 300g I run 3 FX6’s along with a 36W UV. On my 65B with a lone little hairy puffer I have an Aquaclear AC110 AND a Eheim 2217 canister. Overkill on the puffer’s tank for sure.

On a planted tank you should get away with a little less.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Im into over filtering and big filters so my suggestions all would be that way, lol.

On my 300g I run 3 FX6’s along with a 36W UV. On my 65B with a lone little hairy puffer I have an Aquaclear AC110 AND a Eheim 2217 canister. Overkill on the puffer’s tank for sure.

On a planted tank you should get away with a little less.

I'm a fan of over-filtration. I can't help myself.

sir_keith

Legendary Member

Not set up yet, but here it is, ready to go. The substrate arrived a few days ago, but my filters are not coming until Tuesday. Current plan is to stock it with Xenotilapia sp. 'Kilesa,' Ophthalmotilapia Nasuta 'Magara,' and maybe some Cyprichromis. Will be ordering some giant val as well, after the holidays.

IMGP5700.JPG

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Not set up yet, but here it is, ready to go. The substrate arrived a few days ago, but my filters are not coming until Tuesday. Current plan is to stock it with Xenotilapia sp. 'Kilesa,' Ophthalmotilapia Nasuta 'Magara,' and maybe some Cyprichromis. Will be ordering some giant val as well, after the holidays.

View attachment 4570

GORGEOUS!!!! That is a beautiful set up.