Aquarium tank builders around here?

GoGo98102

Sorry I have a hard time navigate this site (couldn't even reply to a private message) so apologies ahead if this is been discussed before. I am looking for a long/large tank being built. Namely 96x24x18(height). I am looking for a rimless or euro braced glass tank. I just can't deal with a scratch easy acrylic tank. Does anyone know a good and reasonably priced local builder? It seems most builders only do acrylic anymore.

Thanks!

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
The only builder I know of who works with glass is Oceans by design.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Hey GoGo, we have talked briefly about my tank that I ordered from Customaquariums.com. The one thing I liked is that they ship for free if you order $2000. I priced shipping tanks from other companies and it was $600 just in shipping cost! The only issue with them is that they do framed tanks. Not really in their design for rimless.

GoGo98102

Haha yes, DMD, we did. I just wanna get more info before I make up my mind. Also, customaquariums.com only does either 12" or 24" height tanks. I am looking for 16" to 18". I can probably call them but I also have never seen an aluminum braced aquarium. Some said those corrode under saltwater.

I am not going for rimless anymore. A wave maker will push the water over the edge easily (I can attest to that). I need euro braced tank to easily rest my glass top as well. I am deathly afraid of finding dead dried up fish on my floor. ;-P

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
GoGo98102 said:
Also, customaquariums.com only does either 12" or 24" height tanks. I am looking for 16" to 18". I can probably call them but I also have never seen an aluminum braced aquarium. Some said those corrode under saltwater.

You can call or email them about different sizes. Likely more money due to special cuts and possible waste. I was not concerned about the frame because I am dealing with freshwater. For me it was just the fact I could not find very many companies out there that made the size I wanted in glass.

GoGo98102

I will, but I think I will see your tank in person first before I put down any deposit. Hahaha

I live in the city in a small townhouse. The only room big enough for a long tank is my living room/dinning room. Unfortunately, it's on the 2nd floor. In order for the floor to support the weight of a big tank, a long and shallow tank that sits across multiple support beans would make more sense to me. Besides, I also need to consider the weight of the stand and possible sump.

Speaking of which, I am not a handy person but I know you are from your house project. I might need to learn woodworking from you. LOL

Chad

Something to consider if you are worried about weight is to build the stand footprint bigger than the tank to help spread the weight.
I have had a couple big saltwater tanks with tunze wavemakers and I got rid of a custom eurobraced starfire 225gal tank becouse I was never comfortable with that much extra stress on the seams.
Sold it and got a custom acrylic 360gal with external waveboxes

Chad