aquarium gravel

vtran86

Hi, not sure if everyone on this forum knows this but if you guys are looking for gravel for your aquarium, check out manufacturer minerals in renton. I just picked up 150 pounds of black sand for 20 dollars. I just wished I have known this 2 months ago when I went to petsmart and paid 40 dollars for 2 bags of sand.

Madness

Staff member
That is my substrate place. :) Be careful with that black sand, it is actually pieces of a glass type material, if you have any bottom sifters you may want to rethink. Just an FYI. :)

vtran86

Thanks madness, was thinking of adding some loach in the tank, will probably change to another sand.does the lapis lustre mess with the PH? I read on an old forum that it had some crush shell in there.

Madness

Staff member
That is what I use in all of my tanks, there is no coral in it. My loaches, Bichirs, Plecos, Geo's and Cichlids dig it as much as I do. ;)

CMooreCichlids

The lapis lustre is a very good sand to get from Manufacturer Minerals.

It requires very little washing, and all of my geo's love it. It also worked well with plants, until my silver dollars made them into snacks.

vtran86

yep, that is what I went with. Now I don't know what to do with the 150 pounds of black sand still in the bag.

LuminousAphid

I'll buy 1 bag (50lb bags?) for $10 if it will help you out. I live up north but can meet in Bellevue a lot of days, like tomorrow before 5

keman

When you stop by tell Mike (the owner of the dog) I said Hi. The dog "Trigger" is pretty cool too. Keep in mind, the Black sand is copper slag, so wash it VERY well. I use both the black and the lapis luster in my tanks. Lapis Luster is $20 for a #50 bag, but well worth it compared to fish store prices.

vtran86

luminousaphid, I'm going to be up north on saturday if you still want the sand. Let me know. I open the 50 pound bag already but haven't open the 100 pound bag.