Aquaclear HOB filter hacks

MRTom

After replacing most of my HOB filters with canisters or sponge filters, I find myself with 4 small aquaclear HOB filters looking for some use (20, 20, 30, 50). I've been brainstorming a couple of fun uses for them besides just using them for extra filtration. Do you guys have any other ideas that could be fun and easy to do?

1. Air powered filtration: Run a bit of airline into the intake of a filter, and watch the water slowly trickle through... unfortunately the filter hangs a bit too high to make this effective. The water only makes it up about an inch off the tank water level, an not across the bridge to the HOB canister...

2. Plant holder with running water. I could just run the filter as is and replace the media with emersed plants or even bamboo or pothos. I actually already have an AC110 downstairs with bamboo in it, but I haven't gone all out and used the filter solely as a planter. Seems like this idea is overused.

3. A while ago, someone posted a link to a duckweed catcher. I was thinking the same can be done with an aquaclear running with a cup over the intake... (yeah I'm reaching here)

4. Aquarium rapids/waterfall! Like so... (ok, I'm nuts!)
wp_00111.jpg

But seriously, a daisy chain of aquaclear filters things seems feasible... that third filter is super flakey on there though. I'm worried it is gonna fall off with moving water.

5. Micro wet dry filter... So it turns out ACs of the same size stack together really well. I'm thinking you could drill holes in the bottom and put a bit of media and make a pico wet dry filter. (Cause what else am I gonna do with these? Sell them? :santa:)

6. Hang them on the back of my desk as a pencil holder...
wp_00112.jpg

So far, option 6 seems to be taking the cake... which is kinda boring. So what do you guys think? Any other clever ideas?

Chiisai

lol I am just imagining daisy chain of like 6 filters. each with a different media. Would be a super filter, although I would be curious to know if that would cool the water too much.

A

Anonymous

Storage! You'll always get more tanks :D

We could combine forces. I have a 20 and 30 gallon and lighting in storage!

Um, I was thinking about growing mosses in these. My AC 70 is somehow growing Java (I think its Java) moss growing UP the pour spout. It looks cool but hey....

On low flow, one could make starts of any kind of moss. When it grew to a nice square within the box either transplant it or sale it (or perhaps store credit at your favorite LFS?!?). Would have to think of some way to attach the moss. Maybe go old school with plastic mesh, or some sort of nylon.

I was thinking about doing this with fissidens fontanus in my old HOB, under a light, hanging off my 140 gallon...

MRTom

Chiisai said:
lol I am just imagining daisy chain of like 6 filters. each with a different media. Would be a super filter, although I would be curious to know if that would cool the water too much.
Depends... in my setup, I'm keeping the room at a constant 70 degrees and keeping most tanks unheated, so I wouldn't worry about it :D But I think the weight of the filters would break them. As is, on that picture, if I added a 4th filter, the first filter would start to bend from the weight, even without water!.

fishNAbowl said:
On low flow, one could make starts of any kind of moss. When it grew to a nice square within the box either transplant it or sale it (or perhaps store credit at your favorite LFS?!?). Would have to think of some way to attach the moss. Maybe go old school with plastic mesh, or some sort of nylon.
Good point on the storage, new tanks WILL come. But I wanna use them now! :)

Have you seen the saltwater guys doing chaeto?

I also thought of growing java moss/fern starts by putting the HOB backwards in the tank, removing the pump and using the impeller hole to force flow with an airpump... :)

star_rider

hmmm HOB refugiums???

I know on guy uses them and placed pothos in them to help suck up nitrogen.
for light he used cheap clamp on lamps and spiral cfl(tho I hear they are destined for the same fate as incandescent) but possibly LED bulbs to give the plants light?

MRTom

star_rider said:
hmmm HOB refugiums???

I  know on  guy uses them and placed pothos in them to  help suck up  nitrogen.
for light he used cheap clamp on lamps and  spiral cfl(tho I hear they are destined for the same fate as incandescent) but possibly  LED bulbs to give the plants light?
I was pretty amazed at some of the craftsmanship on those HOB refugiums! Some guy painted his and installed a custom mini LED light inside the lid... Cool stuff!

anthony said:
offer them to fishboxers who might need a good quality hob?
That's likely what I'll end up doing. Thought I'd try some experiments first tho.

Use em as is. Hang all of them on one side of a tank and have them run all at once. This will create strong enough currents to move Marimo balls around. Hahaha haha... Keep it a Marimo tank.

MRTom

Ooh! I have an awesome 2 gallon vase that I plan to do that with! Sadly it is too round for these filters  :|