Aqua Clear 110 replacement sponge is garbage.

finray56

I'm sure a lot of community members here would agree that for HOTB filters Aqua Clear makes one of the best. We have no less than 10 running on our tanks right now. I was just curious how many here have ordered a replacement sponge only to receive a sponge that is NOT the same quality as the sponge supplied with the filter when you purchased it. I needed fresh sponges after years of use and ordered replacements only to find out that they are completely inferior to the sponge supplied with the filter when new. Within the first 6-8 months I noticed that my new sponge was basically breaking down with chunks and particles falling off.
I am very surprised as these are all packaged in the normal AC packaging but they are basically garbage compared to the original sponge provided with the filter. I'm wondering if there is some cost cutting going on here to prevent customers from getting the original sponges because they just last too long and therefor we wouldn't be replacing them as often. I'm sure some will say just use something else and that's cool, however if I'm purchasing the replacement sponge shouldn't I be able to expect the same quality as the original.
Needless to say I won't be buying their brand in the future, I will purchase bulk quality sponge and cut it to fit. I was mainly curious how many other people had noticed the difference.

Cole

I've heard the replacement sponges aren't as good as the original ones that come with the filter. I've even heard the sponges that come with the filter now aren't as good as they were 5-7 years ago. I'm guessing they were lasting too long (pretty much forever) and Fluval wanted to cash in on more sales. I don't have any experience with the replacement sponges, but it's definitely something I've been hearing and reading about on different forums over the last couple of years.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
I love the AC 110, and have eight of them running in my fish room, most of which are 5-6 years old. So far, I haven't had to replace any of the original sponges, so I can't comment on the quality of the replacements, but the originals still look basically brand new. I quess I'll try to take good care of them, and hope to get another 5-6 years of service before dealing with the problem of replacements.

It is interesting to note that if you look at the Amazon reviews for the AC 110 replacement sponges, although the overall rating is 4+ stars, nearly a quarter of the reviewers comment that the replacement sponges are not the same quality as the originals, so caveat emptor.

Anyone find suitable replacements?

IMGP3776.JPG

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Nice fishroom!!!!

Thanks! The best thing about this fish room is the slate tile floors. I had them installed when I bought this house 5 years ago; previously this room had wall-to-wall carpet. Totally not going to work in a fish room! Now I don't have to worry about splashing water around while doing chores. :)

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I've noticed it, but I didn't stress it too much as they still outlast my other hob filter cartridges .....

But I have to agree that it has to be a new compound to make them as they weren't making money off of replacements. Haha