Anyone with experiance with these fish? madness?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
So as most of you guys know I am looking to get my 8ft 300 gallon in a bit, so I am researching a few in particular.

Anyone with experience with any of the following? (Temperament?)

Astatheros nourissati

astatheros robertsoni

astatheros altifrons

These would be going into a smooth running community with the fish in my signature.

Also any idea where to find these fish in at least 4"+ size?

bassetman

I have astatheros Rostratus. They can be little jerks but lack the teeth to back it up. Most aggression will be within the species. Mine get on fine with the Crassipinnis.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the info Tom! They seem a bit like a firemouth in nature, all gill flare and show but nothing really to back it up.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Don't have any experience but would love to see a video of the 210 running peacefully

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I need to get a video or pics up for sure. My tank has been super clean lately due to all the home showings, inspection, appraisal going on. But now that it is over I can relax and actually enjoy the tank again. I have a pretty boring tank with nothing new going on. I guess that is good after all the issues with Chunk the Bumblebee Oscar.

Knutsen1122

I have a robertsoni. He's pretty mellow for the most part, a little nippy now and then but not bad. More than anything he just sifts around the sand and stays on alert haha.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Knutsen1122 said:
I have a robertsoni. He's pretty mellow for the most part, a little nippy now and then but not bad. More than anything he just sifts around the sand and stays on alert haha.

My concern is interaction with other bottom dwellers. I have two bichir, a pleco and a hoplo cat that I would worry about.

bassetman

The astatheros can hold their own with fairly Agro tank mates. My Crassipinnis is absolute nuts and they do fine with him.

They do not seek trouble but do not back down either.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
bassetman said:
The astatheros can hold their own with fairly Agro tank mates. My Crassipinnis is absolute nuts and they do fine with him.

They do not seek trouble but do not back down either.

Thanks, was looking to see if they were instigators. Ive had fish that would start it and would not back down. Just did not want that element in my tank. I have a smooth community with very little issue, I want to keep it that way.

Knutsen1122

DMD123 said:
Knutsen1122 said:

My concern is interaction with other bottom dwellers. I have two bichir, a pleco and a hoplo cat that I would worry about.
I have 2 geophagus surinamensis 3 plecos and a bichir in the same tank with no problems, and like bassetmans it holds it's own with some more aggressive guys as we'll.

Madness

Staff member
I have only kept theses Astatheros nourissati and astatheros robertsoni. The Robertsoni was more aggressive than the Nourassati, but still a very timid and mellow fish. The Nourassati that I had were very peaceful and stress out very easily.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks madness, was looking for more of what a nourissati would be like. Sounds like it might work since it seems to have the right temperament.

Anyone know of where to get one about 5" or so?