Angel fry in community tank

julzhull

I have some free swimmers with attentive parents I'm a 210g community tank. Any hope of their survival of I try to feed them? This is the first time we've had anything but eggs in there.

There's a possibility we could put them and parents in a 40g. Is it too late for that?

clownie

I think it's too late for the parents and fry together BUT if you can scoop some fry up and throw them in a 10 gallon you have a shot.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Sponge filter only, use a turkey baster and very fine mesh net and scoop up the babies and put them in a tank by themselves. Use the water from the tank they were born in to fill the 40. They will need live brine shrimp for a while to survive. So you have to time hatching with brine shrimp too. Brine shrimp need to be fed within 24 hours of hatching to get optimal nutrition from the fry. If you know which two spawned you could just move them to a tank and they will spawn again in 2-3 weeks. But keep in mind if you want to keep fry you will need a 55 or bigger when they start to grow because batches are easily over 100 of fry.

julzhull

Sponge filter only, use a turkey baster and very fine mesh net and scoop up the babies and put them in a tank by themselves. Use the water from the tank they were born in to fill the 40. They will need live brine shrimp for a while to survive. So you have to time hatching with brine shrimp too. Brine shrimp need to be fed within 24 hours of hatching to get optimal nutrition from the fry. If you know which two spawned you could just move them to a tank and they will spawn again in 2-3 weeks. But keep in mind if you want to keep fry you will need a 55 or bigger when they start to grow because batches are easily over 100 of fry.
Great info. I have a pair out in a 40 right now that spawn frequently but they eat the eggs before they even get to wigglers. I might trade them out for this pair at some point since they seem to be better parents.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
You can pull the eggs before they eat them and rear yourself as well. How many times have they spawned? Sometimes it takes a few tries. Others just never do parent. I would say two adults in a 20 high to lay and then transfer the egg to the 40 for hatching. Just put an air stone at the base of what they lay on so the bubbles run across the egg to keep circulation on them to prevent fungus.

julzhull

@ShortyKiloGyrl The pair in the 40 have spawned several times, almost once/week. One time we did get a few free swimmers but they ate them. They're beautiful (longfinned, one black/blue, one black/white with a koi background). The two that are being good parents now are basically the same combo but shorter fins. So, I'll probably try them out alone next. I'd love to parent raise some. I really just want to experience raising one batch for now.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
They are time consuming and fair a lot of care. Space is a big factor too. A batch of fry will need a 40-55 gallon when they get above pencil eraser sized. They will need small daily or ever other day water changes. Live brine shrimp for the first few weeks and then super finely ground flakes that I moved with brine shrimp for a weeks or so then over to the crushed flakes after.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
@ShortyKiloGyrl The pair in the 40 have spawned several times, almost once/week. One time we did get a few free swimmers but they ate them. They're beautiful (longfinned, one black/blue, one black/white with a koi background). The two that are being good parents now are basically the same combo but shorter fins. So, I'll probably try them out alone next. I'd love to parent raise some. I really just want to experience raising one batch for now.

How goes the Angel Fish farming? :wink

julzhull

How goes the Angel Fish farming? :wink
Sigh. The parents ate the babies. I keep going back and forth if I want to move the angel pair I have in my 40g back into the 210g and switch them for these ones. Part of me really wants to raise a batch of angel babies, the other part of me wants to buy something easier like some more guppies for that tank instead. The angels are content in the 210g so I'm hesitant to change things. :confused:

FishBeast

Sorry to hear that... You could try the switch, that way you will have an easier time separating the fry the next time they produce. As they say, try everything once? ;)

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Sigh. The parents ate the babies. I keep going back and forth if I want to move the angel pair I have in my 40g back into the 210g and switch them for these ones. Part of me really wants to raise a batch of angel babies, the other part of me wants to buy something easier like some more guppies for that tank instead. The angels are content in the 210g so I'm hesitant to change things. :confused:

You know, I'm with Cory when he talks about fish that easily raise their own fry - with the proper conditions. However, it would be a very cool challenge to help "make it happen" and you'd be super happy if you did. Have you ever watched any of Charles Fish Tanks videos on youtube? He's like the Angel Fish guy. Like @FishBeast says; try anything once. I'd be tempted to scoop the fry out myself because then you could keep them in a smaller tank and control feeding, etc. I have two giant Calico Angels and if they decide to mate at some point, they'd better be hungry too. Because I'm not going to deal with that. I got enough going on.

I am jealous of your 210G tank, by the way. Why haven't we seen a Fish Tour video on that tank??!!! Seriously. *stomps feet* I want to SEEEEEEEE!

julzhull

@VickiK I agree that I'd like them to raise their own like Cory mentions. It would be really fun to see at least once so I should try to make that happen. I think we'll try to switch the pairs out the next time we do a water change which should be soon.

I'll try to do a video of our tank just for you ;)

Betty

Staff member
I had a breeding pair of angels many years ago. It took them (and me) forever to get things right, but it was a great when it finally worked out and the pair raised their own young ones. After that first time, they had other successful broods.

julzhull

I had a breeding pair of angels many years ago. It took them (and me) forever to get things right, but it was a great when it finally worked out and the pair raised their own young ones. After that first time, they had other successful broods.
That's good to know. Out of several angels I have quite a few breeding pairs, just have to get it right to get the ones I want to successfully breed :roll

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
@VickiK I agree that I'd like them to raise their own like Cory mentions. It would be really fun to see at least once so I should try to make that happen. I think we'll try to switch the pairs out the next time we do a water change which should be soon.

I'll try to do a video of our tank just for you ;)

Please please please please please! I'd return the favor! (although all I can offer is 5 tanks with the biggest being 55G)

VickiK

Member with a lot to say

@julzhull - see? There's hope!