Ameca splendens

A

Anonymous

Picked up 7 of them at the auction last night. Don't know if I got males or females or what because I dident get home until midnight. So I just did a quik acclimation and then went to bed, I had to be up at 4:15 to go to work. I will look closely later when I get home and see if I can't sex them. These are thought to be extinct in the wild so I will make a point to breed and sell the young to anyone intrested in the area. They have a 2 month carrying period and then give live birth to 20 or so young that are between 5/8 and 3/4 inch long, so they are much larger then guppy/swordtail/platy etc fry. I am excited to add this to my current breeding project of cutteri cichlids. I am trying to breed smaller less common fish so that those who don't want to dedicate all the time to "hunt" them down can still enjoy attractive, uncommon fish in there aquariums. I have started my journal on the cutteri and will start one for the ameca splendens as well. As soon as I have fry that are big enough the cutteri will be posted and when the goodieds have established a large enough colony they too will be posted in the for sale section. I will probably also run a little brief thread journal on the progress of both fish.

sidekicking

Dude you should post some pics of those little guys
It was a little hard to see them last night Through the plastic bag all you could see was there little spots
Good luck with them!

A

Anonymous

I will def. Post some pics once two items are sorted. The first one is I have to wait for them to settle in. And the second is I have to confirm that those are the right fish. I have been doing some research and it dosent seem to be the same fish. So let me try to get ahold of the guy who brought those fish (that's gonna be hard I don't even know his name) and then once I can put a sure name with the fish I will post up some pics. Oh you know what maybe I will post a few pics in the id me section. See what comes from that.

A

Anonymous

Pics are up there in the show and tell section labled unidentified goodeids, although I now no they are ameca splendens. There is also a pic of there 10 gallon home on there.