Altum vid

bassetman

shot this a couple nights ago. Mainly shows the altums . I have had several PMs asking so here they are . This was the last night in the 75 gallon and they are now in a 125 tall. With their tetras and hatchet fish companions. The green neons have been swapped for emperor tetras as the largest alums were starting to hunt the smaller neons.

http://youtu.be/SxAs3LJ6hJU

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Wow they look good, interesting they were hunting the tetra. I've never had my angels eat anything except their own fry and molly/guppy/platy fry. They have seem to grown pretty fast too!

bassetman

The first group have more than doubled in size. They like hunting live brine shrimp and the neons are a natural food for adult altums. It was hard to spend the dough to get the groups but they are well worth the cost.

A

Anonymous

Awesome bassetman. These are very nice looking fish. Definitely like!!

bassetman

If you ever get the opportunity to get some I really recommend them. They are somewhat more available now that the FARC has been removed as a threat in Columbia ....at least in the Atabapo region. Right now they are all growing so fast . I can see the difference in photos even over a couple weeks.

A

Anonymous

I've read they are a bit more sinsitive than their hybrid cousins. Do you do anything different for them?

bassetman

I am keeping them at natural conditions. Ph 4.5 and about 5ppm TDS peat filtered water. I took three weeks to bring them back to those levels after the month they spent in Portland water at the wetspot. I used cattapa leaves as a litter in the tanks and they get a 20% change every day. As I lowered the ph they got more and more active and outgoing plus their color really picked up. The green neons and the pencil fish come from the same black water conditions so we're a perfect choice as tank mates. The neons especially are helpful in cleaning up leftover food the Angels do not get. Some friends in Germany have been a great help in having a successful start.

A

Anonymous

Oh boy, high maintenance. Would love to do a set up dedicated to them. I know you'll be trying to get them to spawn, so I'll be looking for future posts :)

bassetman

This time next year they should be getting fairly large :). Then we hope for pairs then we really hope for fry. Breeding these things is reported to be very difficult but so are A.Heckelii but mine have bred four times ....so high hopes but not betting on anything till it happens. I am very very happy that they are doing well to this point. If I get fry I will spread them as far as I can.

star_rider

good job raising them and taking the time to raise them right.

You found that Altum will hunt food.. they are interesting to watch. Mine tend to pack hunt. and they will get quite large. I raised mine from dime sized aug 2011.
no pairs yet .. water is kept much like yours.. RO with peat and catappa(indian almond) leaves.

how many did you pick up?

I'm curious how your will act.. mine stay in a school.. where as whenever I had scalare they would continully fight.. I've heard this is the more common characteristic.

bassetman

I have twelve now . I keep them in two groups of six as a hedge against disaster. They mostly stay in a loose grouping. Very little chasing or posturing.