Altum angelfish care?

Twila

I really enjoy my scalare angelfish and I've been toying with the idea of setting up a tank for some altum angels. There seems to be a lot of lore surrounding this species, but not a whole lot of data. Can anyone point me to some good write-ups or books on this species of angelfish? Does anyone on this forum have experience (good or bad) with them that they'd be willing to share?

Bridges Pets & Gifts in Snohomish has 4 nice sized ones that they got from a local breeder, but they're not for sale & they weren't able to tell me much about their origin or care. Attached pix are from Bridges today. They've had them for about 4 months & they just "treat them like the rest of the fish." I've also seem some nice looking juveniles at the Wet Spot in Portland where they were much more circumspect about their care.

IMG_5045.JPG IMG_5044.JPG

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
There was a member on here named star rider who had a group of six altums. I've never seen better looking angels in my life! He lives out in spanaway area. I haven't seen him on the box in about a year, but if you PM him, it might get sent to his email and I know he could share some valuable info.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Bassetman spends more time on Facebook now.... I'll message him on there for you

Lisa C

I really enjoy my scalare angelfish and I've been toying with the idea of setting up a tank for some altum angels. There seems to be a lot of lore surrounding this species, but not a whole lot of data. Can anyone point me to some good write-ups or books on this species of angelfish? Does anyone on this forum have experience (good or bad) with them that they'd be willing to share?

Bridges Pets & Gifts in Snohomish has 4 nice sized ones that they got from a local breeder, but they're not for sale & they weren't able to tell me much about their origin or care. Attached pix are from Bridges today. They've had them for about 4 months & they just "treat them like the rest of the fish." I've also seem some nice looking juveniles at the Wet Spot in Portland where they were much more circumspect about their care.

View attachment 2935 View attachment 2936

Lisa C

Ed Stansbury's book Breeding and Raising Angelfishes (2005) has some pretty good info on Altums. He's a big fan and has kept them.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I had WC altums many years ago, and they were a world apart from P. scalare, which has been bred in captivity for decades. My two biggest suggestions center around diet (lots of live food, several feedings per day) and water quality (immaculate). Think discus, and you will be on the right track. Good luck.

Twila

I had WC altums many years ago, and they were a world apart from P. scalare, which has been bred in captivity for decades. My two biggest suggestions center around diet (lots of live food, several feedings per day) and water quality (immaculate). Think discus, and you will be on the right track. Good luck.
Thanks for the advice. After doing some more research, I've decided to try discus since there's so much more information on their care & keeping.