Algae out of CONTROL! Help!

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Re: Algae out of CONTROL! Help!

I'll be able to get a pic of the tank tonight. And mine definitely looks like the green spotted puffer.

anthony

Is this regular algae or cyno bacteria? It sounds like the infamous cyno!!! Madness is right If you only have plastic plants make sure you don't have one of the bulbs that's putting out artificial sunlight. I would think cyno or lightbulb. If it's the cyno don't put things from that tank into your other tanks!

Lamental Jester

anthony said:
Is this regular algae or cyno bacteria? It sounds like the infamous cyno!!! Madness is right If you only have plastic plants make sure you don't have one of the bulbs that's putting out artificial sunlight. I would think cyno or lightbulb. If it's the cyno don't put things from that tank into your other tanks!
:plus1:   She said she has a 8,000k bulb, which in my view might not be the best choice for a non-planted tank.  I would go at least 12,000k or higher, probably more in the 18,000k realm

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

I have organic miracle grow potting soil and need to get a top substrate and then I'd love to make it a planted tank. I've read these are better for the puffer as well. Would that light work well for this?

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

Definitely not cyanobacteria! This is very dark green almost black and very very thing, not stringy or any depth to it at all. When the lights are off in the tank it looks black.

Lamental Jester

ShortyKiloGyrl said:
I have organic miracle grow potting soil and need to get a top substrate and then I'd love to make it a planted tank. I've read these are better for the puffer as well. Would that light work well for this?
Very cool that you wanna do plants!  I find that anything in the 5,000k to 10,000k range is good for plants. Although the closer to 6,700k is suppose to me the most ideal.  Depending on what plants and how densly planted you wanna go (idealy dirted tanks should be densly planted), you might need more than just the single bulb.  You might have already seen this but in case you haven't I did a thread about my step by step process at doing the dirted planted tank HERE

I haven't the slightest clue however how that would do with a brakish water tank, that is if you plan on keeping your tank brakish :scratch:

ShortyKiloGyrl said:
Definitely not cyanobacteria! This is very dark green almost black and very very thing, not stringy or any depth to it at all. When the lights are off in the tank it looks black.
I think it's blackbeard agae (black hair algae). Follow this thread...

http://www.wafishbox.com/t7007-black-hair-algae-bha-problem?highlight=blackbeard+algae

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

Here are the pictures of the tank. This is about 2 weeks of not scrubbing the tank sides, except for you to see the difference. Water perimeters are fine and so is the fish. Just the annoying algae.

Side

Front

Sand

Plant